Handful of Trouble

Never go to just "look" at puppies, like you shop around for a piece of furniture, because it's a cinch you'll be hooked by a pair of soft, brown eyes, a moist sand papery tongue and a minute ball of soft fur--the sharpest little salesman in the world has cast a spell and you'll come home with a handful of trouble.

     Our very special Springer Spaniel "Mac" was a victim of the allergies that plagued a good share of his nine years, but this family doesn't learn a lesson very well and our house wasn't to be dogless for long.  I had two specifications.  No more Springers as no one could ever take "Mac's" place, and short hair this next time please.

     We found first of all inflation gone to the dogs.  Pups maybe plentiful but plush. and each one could walk right in and steal your heart on the spot.

     A dog book from the library helped in describing the size and weight of the grown finished project so we wouldn't be misled by say, a cute and cuddly 6-week old Great Dane.

     There was quite a difference in opinion around here about who wanted what.  Di was all for a Basset Hound.  Son no. 1 a Malamute (he got that out of the dog book and they're a beautiful and popular, smaller version of a Husky).  Son no. 2 a Sheepdog--me  Schnauzer and Pop a ten foot boa constrictor--his pocketbook wasn't in favor of any kind of a dog after he learned the price of pups.

     First a small word of caution.  A dog is a long term investment so go to a reliable breeder.  In short follow the private ads in the paper for dogs rather than pet shops or roadside stands.  You'll find  your selection more apt to be guaranteed and the pups generally have already received their shots and worming.  In a roadside stand you pay as much for a good dog and run the chance that some other dog in the bunch may be ill or a carrier of some illness.

     Well, the decision finally became almost unanimous to get a Basset puppy (we ignored Pop's vote).  Just one look at the bow-legged, long eared, sad eyed Basset hound had everyone sold--even Pop although he sighed when he pulled out the checkbook.

     So one brown, black and white pup came to our home to completely disrupt the family s much as if we'd suddenly brought a brand new baby home.  First there was the problem of a box.  She tipped over all the small cardboard numbers we and her long ears and anxious eyes peering above the edge had us all rushing to take her out.  Di settled the problem by getting  giant sized cardboard affair that takes up most of the kitchen.

     We thought of calling her Pandora as she let all the troubles loose in the world, or Body a suggestion from Pop from Queen Boadicea found in the crossword puzzles.  We call her Sheba, because she thinks she is  "the queen of --," and there hasn't been a dull moment for three weeks. 

     In my tireder moments, I'm positive "Mac" never was this much trouble, but she has our combined hearts in the palms of her big feet.  There are probably fuzzier and fluffier pups but not one as cute as Sheba.

       Her ears are butter soft and in doggy circles are called drapes, they sweep the grass and trip her large economy sized feet unless she holds her head very high.  Her eyes are a melting chocolate brown and she seldom lifts her head when I talk to her merely rolls those dark eyes in my direction.  Her face is wrinkled and sad as if she's already discovered there are too many "no's" in this world.  She's long and she waddles.  Sheba is bowlegged and knock-kneed and when she walks her rope-like tail forms an arc over her back.  She looks every long inch like an out of shape aristocrat in  long brown raincoat.

     Sheba's favorite rooms are the ones declared "off limits" to her and she can stretch out to unbelievable thin lengths to squeeze her puppy bulk through the barriers which keep her corralled in the kitchen.  Until she becomes trustworthy and socially acceptable only portions of the house are hers, and I've found myself doing all sorts of stove and cupboard cleaning to keep Sheba company in the kitchen.

     Pups readily take to spoiling and like favored and pampered children pups grow up to be obnoxious and demanding dogs. That's what I keep telling myself when Sheba begs to climb into my lap and I help her--or plays so cute with a toast crust from the table that I give her more.

     Remember, of course, all those promises that every member of the family made about taking care of the new pup will evaporate into thin air after about a week.  Even the novelty of a cute pet fades mighty fast when it comes to fifteen minute interval trips to the backyard in rain or shine, changing box papers or blotting up wet spots on the floor.

     Suddenly, Mom, you'll find the dog is all yours and yours alone--yours to feed, to walk and to pick up after.  The kids will be around to do the playing but disappear if work should be involved.

     So pick a dog you're going to enjoy because that pup will learn quickly which side his bread is buttered on.  He'll be under your feet, trying to lick your hand and barking for your company because you've been picked and selected.  Romping with the kids he enjoys, he obeys Pop's commands because he's smart but you mom with his feeding dish in your hand--you're the one he loves.

Written August 30, 1962