Hamsters

Somehow I remember distinctly making a statement about "no more animals!" following the demise of our two white mice.  But we've two new occupants of the thoroughly scalded ex-mice cage now.  Two white hamsters.

     High finance was going on the other night.  Son no. 1 agreed he'd spent most of his allowance on a record.  Son no. 2 never has any spare cash, but daughter was independently wealthy, it being payday, so out they went.  Returning shortly with two balls of fluffy, white fur accented with pink eyes, pink nose and pink feet.  Twin boy hamsters.

     They're each equipped with twitchy, assorted length whiskers that wiggled uncontrollably when the long length of our Basset appears.

     They're cute and eat through a goodly share of food and vegetables, but I've yet to figure out just what they're good for.  A parakeet will talk, a canary will sing.  A dog will prove his worth by guarding the house, helping his master hunt or just being an adoring companion.  But these two recent family additions sleep all day and prowl their cage at night.  The round wheel, which provides them with exercise, goes its squeaky way from dusk to dawn as they run untold miles in a circle.

     Every now and then something must be purchased for mere enjoyment--a figurine, a picture, an accent piece for the home.  Hamsters might slip into this category.

     Ours are a fun type pair who stop spinning in their self propelling Ferris wheel long enough to gaze a few moments at TV.  Their cage rests at an angle near the one eyed monster and Ham and Sam line up on their hind legs to watch the evening programs.

     They enjoy dark, warm places and will travel about in a pocket comfortably, but are speedy little fellows when given their freedom.  

     These new pets have eyes like crystal red beads and will look directly at you when you talk to them.  They have little fear of falling or being hurt and will walk off the edges of tables or squeeze into spots too small for even their miniature size, probably indicating their heads contain little in the way of brains.

     Hamsters are members of the rodent family, a bit bigger than a mouse and much smaller than a rat, but don't resemble either pest.  They come in brown or white color assortment and have thick, soft fur--big cheek pouches and a cropped tail which makes them still different from other family members.  Hamsters develop individual distinct personalities and fail to remind me of any of their rat relations.

     Our pair spends most of the day in a furry ball of sound sleep, but fill their feed dish or drop a bit of lettuce into their cage and they'll lift closed eyes, briskly wiggle their whiskers, and like sleep walker find their way to this food source.  They'll even stagger over to their drinking tube in their sleep--quickly returning to curl up close together.

     Hamsters can get to be a foot long but usually the variety sold by pet stores remain much smaller.  Suddenly these furry little pets have become important to medical research too.  Seems they are used for studies of cancer and are the first small animals to have the misfortune of being susceptible to the human cold so are used in medical studies.

     All is not always serene in the cage of Ham and Sam.  Like regular brothers they have their private disagreements and will scurry around the wheel and hang by their toes from the cage scattering seeds and grain in all directions.  The excitement is short though as they are easily sidetracked by the discovery of a new bit of food.  They're partial to sunflower seeds, lettuce, parsley and various grains--are constantly washing their faces, heads and even ears--and Mom, they make fine pets for the older boy and girl.

     No don't get alarmed Mom.  Actually hamsters are little bother.  No more than exciting goldfish, but these personality kids are fun to watch, very clean and are so soft to handle.  So consider them if you're thinking of an unobtrusive small space occupying pet.

     Now when you get the usual long playing sob story from the youngsters, "You never will let us have a pet," don't make that "no pet" statement until you take the time to visit a pet store and look at these lively and lovable miniature teddy bears.  

Written April 2, 1964