House Evolution

Thirteen years or so ago, when we were transferred into the Chicago area, my husband (arriving alone) had the choice of two houses in Arlington Heights to buy.  There was absolutely nothing to rent.  The population in this suburb was about 5000.  We liked small towns and had friends here so I learned on the other end of a long distance phone call to California that we now owned a house--unseen by me.

     Vaguely, I gathered it was two stories--a new so-called expandable Cape Cod.  My husband was mildly enthusiastic.  It had a lovely basement and many possibilities.  Anyway, there wasn't much choice and that basement, by jingo, was really a dandy.

     One small point.  Never let your husband out alone to buy a house.  Oh, he's excellent for selecting a fine, dry basement--for bouncing on his toes to test the house supports--and tapping at plaster; but you'd better be along to see that you can move around in the kitchen and that you like the view from the front window.  Together you can compare notes and both be satisfied.

     On our second house we did much better hand in hand.  Of course, the selection was a lot wider and today, as a prospective house buyer, "you pay your money and take your choice."

     You can select a sparkling ultra-modern house in a new subdivision that has its own shopping centers, parks and schools, or pick an older home right in the heart of town.  You as buyer, according to statistics, have the biggest opportunity since World War II of finding exactly the house of your dreams.

     My Grandpappy would shudder at prices which don't even lift an eyebrow on his grandchildren, but then grandmas wasn't looking for a push button kitchen, sparkling floors that gleam with the latest easy-care vinyl, built-ins for every room or the best in modern heating.

     Ever since "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House" suburban structures have bowed to the wishes of the housewife and incorporated her ideas.

     Eons ago, in my youth, houses were all two and three stories--with a billiard room, or play room on the top floor.  This attic space was turned over to the kids until either the racket or the plaster falling from the downstairs ceilings put the room into the basement and christened it a recreation room.

     That once "kept for company" parlor was abandoned as families crowded into smaller rooms and stepped on each others' nerves.  Now we have a family room and the living room is again used for visiting.

     For a time the dining room disappeared and a combination living-dining room made more space in smaller houses.  That is until the hostess again decided she didn't like to stare at dirty dishes while her bridge club was in progress so the room just for company dining was back.

     House grew flatter and were called bungalows--and then longer and were named ranches--until larger families and higher property costs had structures taking to the air again.  A style--part ranch, part two story--evolved and we have the split-level or various variations of this up a few steps down a few steps plan.

     Take a good look at a suburb and you'll find the older two story, 19th century style architecture clustered around the center of town.  As the place grew out a little further we find the ranches--out still further the settlements of big colonials and bi-levels.

     So if you are deliberating about getting a new house, look around--see all sorts of styles and types--get thoroughly confused.  Then go home, shut off the TV set and make a list together of all the things you both feel are necessary in a new home.

     Do you want to be in a newer, younger community, which is what a great portion of the subdivisions have as residents?  Do you want to have the fun, or is it headaches, of putting in your own landscaping and lawn?  Can you be patient until your small trees grow enough for adequate shade in the summer?  If you can say "yes" to these questions then buy a new home complete with that electric kitchen and lots of room.

     But maybe you like the charm of big trees and older homes, with gardens and landscaping all completed.  Maybe you'd like to do a face lifting job on an older house, and can visualize a kitchen modernized or smaller rooms opening up to more space.  Well just remember, Mom, that remodeling is expensive, messy and nerve wracking.  If an upset house for months on end doesn't disturb you--or if your husband is talented, has time and likes to tear things out, then an older might be the real fun move for you.

      Then again maybe you'll discover your own house really has hidden charm.  The children are growing up and leaving you with lots of empty space, so if you can close your eyes and steel your heart to the envy of a friend's brand new, attractive abode--stay where you are.

     Anyway, it seems that if you keep a house long enough, like clothes, it is bound to come back in style again as there is a cycle, too, in this business of housebuilding.

Written March 15, 1962

"Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House" is an American movie comedy, filmed in 1948, starring Cary Grant and Myrna Loy.  This movie was loosely remade almost 40 years later as "The Money Pit" starring Tom Hanks and Shelley Long.

In a way, the house on Walnut, pictured above, fit into both movies.  Dad finished the basement and the upstairs adding the rooms and bath, and built a garage.  But there was one area he couldn't fix.

I remember Dad sweeping up the kitchen  there as we were moving to the new house at 106 in 1956.  My recollection has it very small, even to my five year old eyes.  My guess would be that it measured about 8' x 8' with the side door opening into it thus reducing the room even more.  Mom made sure the new kitchen was much bigger.