one.

Lotus Williams

May 2019

"Lotus."

"Lotus! Open this damn door and get this baby!"

"I know you in here open this door."

The repeated sounds of banging stirred me up from sleep. I fluttered my eyes open, groaning, looking around my apartment. I sighed loudly knowing it could only be my mother banging outside my door this early in the morning.

I stood to my feet and made my way to open the door. I unlocked both locks and there stood my mother with a furious look on my face holding my 3 year old daughter... Allison.

"Take your kid. Lotus you are too grown to be leaving her at your father's and I house, it's been 3 weeks! You haven't returned any of my calls or been home the few times I tried to give her back. This is your responsibility! Next time I'm not playing nice," she threatened looking at me in disgust.

"Momma I can't take care of her right now I have things to d—

"You stop it right there. It's a damn shame you can party every fucking day with no care in the world instead of thinking of your baby girl. You laid down and spread those legs open, you can take care of this child that you created. And another thing— clean up this dirty ass house."

She placed Allison in the house and quickly stormed off mumbling cuss words. I shut the door back, feeling defeated.

"Fuck!" I said rubbing my head.

I turned over at Allison and she looked at me with her big brown eyes with a sad look.

"Granny," she said pointing to the door.

I knelt down to her level and took her book bag off. "You with me now baby no more granny."

Soon as I said that her bottom lip started quivering and her eyes instantly got watery. Her loud cries began to fill the room. I threw my head back wanting to scream myself. I did not have time to for this crybaby. I already needed a break but I knew momma was fed up with my shit, I had to be a mom until I could get rid of her again so I can do what I do best.

"You want some candy?" I asked trying to stop the waterworks.

"C-Candy?"

"Yes, let's go to the kitchen."

I took her hand and started heading to the kitchen. My house was an absolute mess but that was the least of my worries. I walked over all the dirty clothes and old toys on the ground and made it to the kitchen. I knew I didn't have any candy but I searched around looking for something sweet. I started with the fridge and opened it first. I sighed loudly seeing it was only a bottle of ketchup, a package of bologna, and a pint of patron.

"Damn, um," I mumbled under my breath.

"How about we get cleaned up and go to the grocery store," I said more to myself.