Chapter 8

Last night

Matatabi got up slowly and lethargically from her prone position and started stretching out her spine. Naps were fine and good, but she needed to get up and pace around every now and then. And she was content to have tried to do that, until she heard the annoyed grumbling of one of her siblings emanate from somewhere near her. She was so surprised that she jolted a little bit and crouched down, baring her sharp teeth out of sheer reflex.

"Hide your fangs," a harsh voice grumbled. "I see you're as quick to anger as ever, but you should be wary of who you threaten. You might just get bitten back."

Matatabi's mouth fell down and she stood up as regally as she could. "I was never quick to anger, if you remember. I've only ever simply refused to cow down to your unreasonableness."

"As obstinate as ever, then."

"You say that like it's a bad thing."

"It is. From my perspective."

"And the world doesn't revolve around you, does it?"

Kurama's bloodshot, red eyes opened and his eyebrows slanted downwards. He got up in as menacing a position as he could and glared at her with all his might. "What are you doing here? And where's your cage?"

Matatabi nearly harrumphed out of smug haughtiness. "If only you had the eyes to see what's right beneath your snout," she said sarcastically.

His eyes swiveled down to look at their Jinchuuriki's held in each other's arms and snoozing happily. They were in deep slumber and paid no attention to the world around them. "So that's why you're here," he said. "Where's your cage?"

"Have you been asleep these past few days?"

"Not much else to do around here."

"You could chat with your Jinchuuriki."

"Do not make fun of me. I'm not in the mood for it."

Matatabi sighed. "You're never in the mood for anything other than sulking and feeling bad for yourself, are you? You know, the world is so much more beautiful than you take it to be. You only need to let yourself have some of it."

Kurama's lip curled into a snarl and his tails swished around him. "Answer the question."

The great construct of fiery chakra paced around the two Jinchuuriki on the floor and finally curled around them, flames licking at their bodies, steadying their minds from straying too far into a harmful dreamspace. "I don't have a cage anymore."

"Bullshit."

"Do you see a cage?"

"You know as well as I that cages can come in all shapes and sizes. Perhaps you don't have a cage binding your movement anymore, but the fact that we're talking through a connection of Jinchuuriki means that you have a leash around your neck. And the one holding it is being nuzzled by you."

Matatabi nearly laughed. "You know nothing of my situation and yet you sit there, chained like a pitiful dog and decry both me and my Jinchuuriki. And I thought you were annoying and bullheaded before."

A great cacophony of clanging rung out through the space as Kurama fought and clashed against his bars to no avail. "If only there weren't bars between me and you; I'd rip you to shreds if I had the chance!"

"But you don't," Matatabi said, protecting the ears of both Yugito and Naruto from the normally ear-shattering noise. "And you never will. At least not the way you are."

Kurama sat down, still snarling at her and said "Okay, you say I don't know your situation. Enlighten me then. Tell me how far off the mark I am," he said through a condescending tone.