Chapter 19

Naruto, Temari, and Fu burst into the living room, still adjusting their clothing as they did so. They had the look in their eyes only seen in people who were exhausted but hyped up on adrenaline; slightly bouncy and jittery and in need of action. In the room was just about everyone else involved in the contract, including the leaders or representatives of the nations as well as Kurotsuchi's dad, Kakashi, and Sakura.

Of everyone, Ai was the most on edge, followed closely by Yugito. The three had walked in while he was in mid-sentence. "-ere is no need to wait. We have impetus, means, and intelligence. We have to GO!" he shouted.

Jiraiya held up a hand to hopefully calm the irate body-builder. "That's the problem. We've never had that before. Hell, I don't think we've ever had one of those things before. This is the most classical form of a trap that I've ever seen and more to the point, he's probably already dead. Remember Gaara? He died in less than two hours. What hope does Bee have?"

"He's my brother," Ai spat out vindictively. "You can't expect me to sit around with both thumbs up my ass while he's out there, tortured or dying for all we know."

"That's exactly what we expect," Onoki said flatly. "He's dead. Get over it."

Ai's nostrils flared and Yugito's jaws clenched and unclenched rapidly. There was already the beginnings of a fight. If it went physical then all of Iwa could potentially be in danger.

"Everyone!" Temari said as forcefully as she could, drawing all attention on her. For a few seconds, she eyed them down, saying nothing. "We need to calm down and think this through."

"There's nothing to think about," Onoki said. "We must not take action."

"If not now, then when?" Ai asked sardonically. "Bee's one of the strongest ninja in all of Kumo. If they can take him, they can take anyone. Who knows when your Jinchuuriki are in danger? Who knows if they already haven't been taken?"

"You're not THINKING!" Temari shouted, making everyone flinch slightly. Rare was the sight of Temari with a raised voice. Pinching her chin with one hand and looking to the ground, Temari began considering the situation. "What we know is that one of the Jinchuuriki, Bee has been taken. From the conversation, I assume we also know his whereabouts. Considering how fast it was that Gaara… died, from his extraction, Bee could already be dead."

"Almost assuredly," Onoki mumbled.

"Not… necessarily," Temari said slowly. "Let's say this is deliberate that we know their position. Then they know that we know it's deliberate. And if we know that it's deliberate, then killing their bait would disincentivize us from entering their trap."

Everyone took a second to consider her logic. "That's a… stretch," Shibuki said.

Mei shrugged. "The chance is there though."

"Are we forgetting that if that's true, then it is a trap?" Jiraiya asked. "No if's, and's, or but's about it. If we go, we're putting ourselves in danger."

A heavy silence fell over them all, only broken when Temari whispered "And if it were Naruto?"

Jiraiya looked up, eyes slightly wider. He didn't say anything, deciding to look to the side. Temari looked at Shibuki next. "And if it were Fu?"

He also deigned not to answer.

"And I know if it were Yugito, I would be going as well," Temari added. "This isn't a choice we should be having to deliberate on. If there is going to be peace, then there must be something greater than just deciding not to war with each other. We also have to help each other in our times of need. And if this isn't theirs, then I don't know what is."