Miscalculated

"Really? Isn't there anywhere else we can talk?" Yaz asked, sarcastically rolling her eyes. We all stood around Brooklynn in the toilet stall. Brooklyn shushed her.

"Hap is hiding something. I mean, why else would he put an alarm on his yurt?"

Yasmina rolled her eyes, scoffing. "So a dinosaur, or you can't sneak in and wreck his stuff."

"I was there too," Kenji and I said simultaneously.

"That alarm was crepuscing me out," Kenji informed them, shuddering slightly. I nodded.

"Inside, there was a strange box with red dripping down... It looked like blood," I explained. Darius glanced at us with a frown, then looked away.

"Typical," he muttered. Brooklyn raised her eyebrow as she turned to look at him.

"What is that supposed to mean?" she asked.

"You just can't let this conspiracy thing go, huh? And for what - a new video to boat your followers!?" Darius scoffed. Brooklynn's mouth dropped.

"Excuse me?"

"Every time, it's for a video. Like with Sammy, you wanted to expose her without letting her explain, all for some new views," he said.

"Who said anything about followers? Do you think I'm doing this for attention!? I'm trying to look out for my friends!" Brooklyn retorted with a scowl.

"Yes, it's so obvious that you are. You're mad Mitch and Tiff haven't heard of you, so now you're doing this."

"And what's your whole deal, Darius? Dinosaurs?" She rolled her eyes. "You care more about them than you do, real people!"

Darius mocked her laugh with a glare. "Wow, that's hilarious - you calling me selfish," he shot back.

"Guys, how about we go outside, get some fresh air and maybe calm down? Hap is suspicious, so we can go back to being cautious. Let's leave it at that," I said quietly.

"Were we talking to you? No. Stay out of this, Kiara," Brooklynn said fiercely, turning to glare at me. I looked away, hurt. I only meant to help.

"Don't talk to her like that," Kenji glowered.

"What did I do!?" she said in disbelief.

"You are so obsessive. Just because Hap isn't social and has a grim expression always doesn't mean he is suspicious!" Darius burst out.

"Obsessive!?" Brooklynn cried out. "Just because Mitch is acting all "cool dad" with you doesn't mean you...." She broke off as Darius' heart sank. "No, Darius, I- I didn't mean that. Darius, you know I didn't mean that," Brooklynn stammered regretfully.

Without a word, Darius pushed aside the curtain and walked out of the yurt without a word. As she watched him leave, her eyes glistened. I walked after him silently.

"Not cool, superstar," Yaz muttered disappointedly, looking away from Brooklynn as she walked behind me. Sammy glanced at Brooklynn with a sad frown but followed after us. Finally, we made our way toward Mitch, who was busy looking through some photos on his camera.

Mitch noticed Kenji and Brooklynn standing near the yurt. "Uh, what about your other friends?" he asked. Darius glanced at Brooklynn, staring at him with a remorseful frown. She looked incredibly sorry.

Mum used to say your apology should always be as loud as your offence. I've tried to follow that all my life, and I think Brooklynn should.

Darius gave her the cold shoulder and turned back to Mitch. "Don't worry about her; she's doing her own thing," he said loudly enough for Brooklynn to hear.