Hardstuck

For the umpteenth time, Kadin dialed 911 and put the phone on speaker.

It rang once.

Twice.

Thrice.

"911. What's your emergency?"

Silent shock filled the elevator, and for a moment Kadin thought he would wake up after dozing off in the corner. He looked at Rukiya. Her lips were slightly parted, eyebrows raised. Three hours. They'd been stuck for three hours and finally—

"Is anyone there?"

"Hi, yes," Kadin said, a little too fast and too loud. "We're stuck in the south elevator at Greyland Tower." He could hear the operator tapping away at the keyboard through the line.

"How many people are with you, sir?" she asked.

"It's just one other. We've been stuck for over three hours now." He sounded like a sailor who'd been stranded on an island for years. But dear god, he just wanted to get out of here.

"Can I get your name, sir?"

"Kadin. Kadin Reyes. And I'm stuck here with Rukiya Warrick."

More tapping came through the line. "Alright Mr. Reyes. Have you tried the Call button?"

"Yes, and the emergency button. Neither of them worked. And the doors won't open either. We tried calling downstairs too, but no one picked up."

"Alright, sir, I'm going to put you on hold while I try to get some help. Please don't hang up the line." There was a click and soft violin music came through the line.

Kadin grinned. "Yes. We're finally getting out of here! God, I can't wait to get home." He raked a hand through his hair and sighed as he thought of the shower, leftover takeout, and bed waiting for him. He'd spent the last few weeks leading up to his trip here binge-watching speedruns and let's plays to prepare for his interview and he'd promised himself when it was over, he'd go back to K-dramas and true crime documentaries. About forty hour's worth was sitting on his watchlist. And he'd lay in bed like a louse and watch it all while gorging himself on Takis and beer.

Rukiya was on her phone, lips pinched thin. After a moment, she pulled it from her head and breathed a sigh.

"Everything alright?" Kadin asked.

"No, my boyfriend's not picking up, and I'll need a ride once we get out of here." She tapped at the phone screen with her thumbs.

He shrugged. "If he doesn't pick up, I can take you home. My truck's parked downstairs."

"Are you sure? I mean. I don't want to take you out of your way, especially since the weather out there is probably shit."

"It's the least I can do after you bought me dinner," he teased with a grin. "Come on. I insist."

"Alright, alright. You win." She tucked her phone into her bag. "I can't wait to get out of here. Get home. I hate being out in the cold." She pulled her coat tighter around her shoulders and drew her knees to her chest.

Kadin leaned back against the wall and looked down at his phone to ensure the call was still connected, though the soft music still flowed from the speakers. He glanced at Rukiya, who was watching the screen as though she could will the operator back onto the line, and a little bitterness marred the sweet feeling of relief.

Would it be too forward to ask for her number? He wondered. After going through this whole ordeal together, it felt strange that they'd just part ways and maybe never see each other again. They should both have the opportunity to laugh about this nightmare together in the future. Maybe over coffee.

As he opened his mouth to speak, the music cut.

"Mr. Reyes, are you still there?" the operator asked.

Kadin lifted the phone closer to his mouth. "Yes, we're here."

"So here's the situation. Unfortunately, I can't get anyone out to you right now." And just like that, his hopes fizzled out and died like a doused flame. "A few of our firefighters were injured in the fire early, and because of the storm, visibility out there is next to nothing. So even firefighters from the neighboring county won't be able to get to you. I'm really sorry."

He did his best to mask his frustration when he spoke. This wasn't her fault. She was just the messenger. "I see. Any ETA on when we'll be able to get help?"

"I can't say for sure. It depends on how this storm goes, but realistically, I wouldn't expect anyone before morning."

Beside him, Rukiya set her forehead against her knees, looking as defeated as he felt. He expected to be stuck in this godforsaken elevator an hour or two more at most, not the whole damn night.

"You should be safe and warm enough in the elevator, since the building is insulated," the operator continued. "I'll do my best to monitor the situation and get you help as soon as possible. If either of you experience any distress, do call back."

"Alright, thank you for your help," Kadin said.

"You're welcome, Mr Reyes. Stay warm."

He hit the end call icon. "Are you fucking kidding me? Morning? We're stuck here until morning?" He raked a hand through his hair.

Rukiya groaned and sunk deeper into her coat. "I don't want to sleep in this damn elevator."

Kadin rubbed his eyes. He doubted there would be much in the way of rest for him tonight. He couldn't sleep unless he was horizontal and laying on something soft. He'd envied his coworkers, who could catch a nap any time at the drop of a dime. The elevator floor was so hard, he imagined his ass would be sore by morning.

But if they were gonna be stuck here all night, he should at least get Tobias up to speed. He dialed his roommate.

"Hey Kadin," Tobias said. "Any luck on your end?"

"Yeah, we got through to 911, but they said they probably won't be able to get any help out to us until morning. So yeah, we're stuck until tomorrow."

"Jesus H. That's rough man. I'm about to wrap up stream and head in for the night. Think you guys are gonna be okay in there all night?"

He sighed. "We'll have to make do, somehow."

"Heads better roll for this because there's no fucking way. I'm frustrated for you, dude. It looks like seven shades of hell out there and you're stuck in a damn elevator. Hat kind of brain dead fucks are in charge of that building?"

Kadin couldn't help but smile. Tobias was who you called if you needed someone to rant on your behalf. Tell him your problems and he could go on and on about how the people who wronged you were assholes who deserved to be put in front of a firing squad. "Yeah, it sucks, but nothing we can do about it."

"Alright man. Holler at me if you need a ride out in the morning."

"Thanks. Be easy." He hung up and put his phone in airplane mode before tucking it into his jacket pocket. He'd need to conserve power in case there was an emergency. At least his iPad was charged up. Several commissions needed his attention, but in such a stressful situation, he'd rather work on a self-indulgent piece. The stress of work would only make this awful situation worse.

Kadin cracked open his backpack and found his iPad, pen and glove. The crinkling of plastic filled the elevator. At the bottom of his bag, he spotted a bag of peanut M&Ms, salted pretzels, trail mix, buttered popcorn, sesame brittle, a granola bar, and a can of lychee boba. He had a vague recollection of raiding the vending machine in the office before his interview. Stress had made him simultaneously hungry and too nervous to eat, so he'd sat and stared at the snacks, then stuffed them haphazardly in the bottom of his bag when his name was called.

And thanks to this elevator fiasco, he'd have an excuse to stress eat all of this junk.