Immaculate Vibes

It was near noon when Rukiya pulled in front of Kadin's apartment. The quaint little five story building in the heart of Eldeville. It was one of the few older neighborhoods in Hapton that still had semi-affordable housing. With it being so far removed from everything else, only the people who did remote or freelance work set up shop out here. A one-hour ride into the city every day didn't look bad on paper, but the trains in this city were never on time.

She balanced the coffee on top of the box of sandwiches and shimmied her way out of her car. A brisk wind snuck under her coat and raised goosebumps on her skin. Rows of leafless bushes lined the concrete walkway leading to the front door. This area was a lot nicer in spring and summer, when the greenery was thriving and the air was crisp. A buzzer sat outside the main entrance, and she punched 202 into its weathered surface.

"That you, Rukiya?" Kadin's voice came through the intercom.

"Yeah, it's me," she said into the speaker.

"Alright. I'll buzz you in."

Rukiya pushed through the front door and the scent of pine cleaner smacked her across the face. The foyer was small and undecorated. One door at its rear had Office spelled out wood lettering, and the elevator and stairs. She hadn't ridden in an elevator since she'd been stuck in Greyland Tower.

Kadin lived on the second floor so it wouldn't be too hard on her legs, even with the sandwiches and three cups of coffee. When she made it up, her thighs were burning, and she was winded, but the exercise had shed the cold from her skin and bones.

Ska filtered through the door of 202, a band she didn't recognise. She rapped on the wood with her elbow and waited. The music quieted, and the door swung open, revealing Kadin clad in sweatpants and a T-shirt.

"Hey, come in," he said with a smile.

"Thanks." Rukiya slipped by him into the living room.

A sound system surrounded the flatscreen TV—the source of the ska. She spotted his iPad sitting on the coffee table that separated the TV stand from the L-shaped couch. Various art pieces covered the front wall—one of Master Chief, one of Samus, and the rest were from franchises she didn't recognise. Beneath it was a shelf with even more video game paraphernalia. She raised her eyebrows at a twelve inch figurine of Sephiroth. That couldn't have been cheap.

Rukiya passed off the sandwiches and coffee so she could slip off her shoes. "I brought enough for your roommate if he's home."

"You really didn't have to." Kadin pushed his iPad aside to make room for the food. "Tobias is streaming right now, but he'll pause for food every time. But uh... make yourself at home." He backed towards a door on the opposite side of the room and gave it a polite knock.

Rukiya settled onto the plush gray leather, and the chair molded her form blissfully. The burn in her legs abated, and she wiggled her toes to warm them. Murmuring came from the other room as Kadin talked to his roommate, and it took everything within her not to eavesdrop. She distracted herself with the ska music and grabbed a coffee from the tray.

She'd ordered their caramel cold brew, a smooth, lightly sweet blend that paired well with their sandwiches. This would be her last cup for the day. She'd made midday her cutoff period for coffee after a bad bout of insomnia a few years back.

Commotion from the back of the room pulled her from her thoughts. Kadin returned with his roommate, a tall, wiry guy with dark hair that fell to the middle of his back.

"Ooo, food," his roommate said, swiping a sandwich from the box.

Kadin elbowed him in the ribs.

"Right, manners." He put on a smile. "You must be Rukiya. Tobias." He saluted her with the sandwich. "I wish I could stay and chat, but I'm in the middle of a stream. But thanks for the food."