Warmth

Kadin checked his phone for the umpteenth time and disappointment dragged his shoulders down when he saw nothing from Rukiya. When he'd texted her the details of the event, she'd said she was boarding a flight to Ohio for a speaking engagement. That was three days ago, and he'd heard nothing since. He'd fucked up. He shouldn't have been so forward, knowing she'd just broken up with her boyfriend.

At the time, he'd thought he was just being nice, and maybe trying to pay her back or buying him lunch. It was fun hanging with her, and she said she enjoyed his company too. Maybe she was just being nice?

Kadin sighed and took a long pull from his beer and watched the fire fighters top off the twenty foot high stack of logs they'd been working on for the past half hour. The metal skewers, sausages and marshmallows he'd brought, sat waiting in his cooler bag. He'd brought enough to share, but it seemed he'd have no one to share them with.

Tobias sat at one of the other stone benches surrounding the site of the bonfire with his date—another local streamer he'd met through Twitch. He'd abandoned Kadin to drag her off to the line of grills under the pavilion the moment she'd arrived, and Kadin had been sitting alone nursing his beer since.

A group of squealing children ran by him, chasing each other under the strings of light connecting the trees together. He should at least try to have a good time. It was his first social gathering since moving out here and he was spending it moping over a beer when he could gorge himself on barbecue and cotton candy.

Just as he was about to stand, someone tapped him on the shoulder. He expected to see Tobias hovering over him with a fresh beer and a smug grin. But no.

Rukiya stood behind him, a small smile playing on her lips. Her hair was no longer braided, but in twists that fell to her chin and she wore a fur-lined jacket with the hood halfway covering her head. She looked cute, comfy.

"Sorry I'm late," she said, taking the seat next to him. "My flight just got in two hours ago."

It took Kadin a moment to find his voice. "Oh, don't worry about it. They have lit the bonfire yet, so you're right on time."

"Good." She pulled her hood down. "I apologize for ghosting. My trip got a little hectic, ended up having to switch hotels and got next to no sleep before I had to get up on stage."

He grimaced. "But your talk went well?"

"As well as it could," she said with a shrug. "So what's this bonfire about?"

"It's in aid of the Saint Joseph's orphanage on the other side of town. I think the fire department arranges it. A bunch of the local restaurants donated food and some local artists set up a thing by the lake."

"Sounds nice. I hardly ever get to come to these low key, family friendly events." Rukiya nudged him with her shoulder. "Thanks for inviting me."

He hid his coy smile behind his beer. "I was going to grab a fresh drink; you want anything? They have barbecue, popcorn, cotton candy, and once the bonfire starts, I have some marshmallows and links." He patted the cooler beside him.

She arched a brow. "Surprise me."

"You got it." He stood, and barely held back his grin as he floated towards the pavilion. Seeing Rukiya had immediately sent his mood soaring. He was so lost in his euphoria that he didn't hear Tobias fall into step with him.

"Was that elevator girl I saw?" he asked, his voice a sly falsetto.

Kadin rolled his eyes. "For the last time, Tobias, she has a name." He made a beeline for the row of grills and ordered some pulled pork and brisket with mac and slaw on Tobias' recommendation. Then it was off to the bar for drinks. He grabbed a beer for himself and a peach iced tea for Rukiya.