Pinky Promise

Kadin tapped the butt of his pen against the side of his iPad case. It bounced off the silicone in a way that was cathartic to his lizard brain and made it easier to focus on his rough sketch. Gray lines vaguely resembling a person sat on the screen, surrounded by the rough shapes of flowers and mushrooms. The figure's hand was up like they were holding something, but he hadn't decided what yet. He leaned his head back and squeezed his eyes shut while flexing his fingers.

A faint chattering came from Rukiya's side of the elevator. He'd been hearing it for a few minutes now. He asked once already if she was alright, and she insisted she was fine—even though it was obvious she wasn't. Not after what he heard on the phone. Not after he saw how tightly she bundled her body into her jacket. With the lights out, he couldn't see, but the chattering alone indicated her discomfort.

Kadin reached into his bag and pulled out his keys. Attached to the rings was a little flashlight he used to navigate the parking lot at his old workplace at night. He flipped the switch and pointed it up at the ceiling. Dim light filled the elevator and illuminated Rukiya, huddled in her corner, all but engulfed by her coat.

"Hey," he said gently. "You alright."

"Yeah, I'm f-f-fine." She tucked her hands in the crooks of her knees and hunched over like a shrimp.

"No, you're not. I can hear your teeth chattering from here." Kadin pressed his palms on the ground and sat up straighter. "Do you always get cold easily?" While it was chilly in the elevator, her jacket was thick and fur-lined, something he'd wear in subzero weather back home.

Rukiya was silent for a long time, and when she finally spoke, her voice was small. "I'm anemic."

"Ah." That explained it. He extended a hand. "Come on."

She stared at his hand for a long moment before meeting his eyes. "You're not serious. We couldn't. I couldn't. That would be inappropriate."

"You're freezing, and we're going to be stuck in this elevator all night. Now is not the time to get shy." He patted the ground beside him. "I can only give you my word that I won't do anything inappropriate."

Several minutes of silence passed between them. Kadin wondered for a moment if he was being too forward. He thought perhaps she wouldn't mind, especially after he'd pissed in a bottle a few feet away from her. Just when he was about to turn back to his drawing, Rukiya picked up her bag and shuffled to his side. A whiff of something fruity tickled his nose as she settled into the crook of his arm.

As his hand settled on her arm, he could feel her shivering like a leaf in the wind. She kept her arms tight against her midsection and her shoulders hunched. He'd been through some tough winter storms back home, the kinds that piled snow high, knocked out the power and kept him bundled up in bed for hours.

"Uh, here."He dug into his bag and pulled out the wool beanie his father had knitted for him. He'd thrown in on that morning to protect his hair from the wind.

"Don't you need it?" she asked, frowning at the hat.

Kadin shook his head. "I'm fine. Winters in Illinois are brutal. I've learned to cope."

She took the beanie and secured it over her braids, and he had to admit, she looked cuter wearing it than he ever did. "Thanks. I can't function at all when I'm cold."

"No problem at all. Can I offer you some M&Ms?" He pulled the little yellow pouch from his bag.

"Ah, I see you've been holding out on me. To think I offered you a whole sandwich and latte." She snatched the bag of candy and tore it open.

Kadin gave a small smile. "In my defense, I'd forgotten I had them. Everything before the interview is a blur." He picked up his pen and made a new layer to start on his line art.