part twenty.

I went to bed reasonably late last night. I now have no idea why, and completely regret it.
I couldn't fall asleep and found myself turning left to right, moving my arms and legs in different directions.
I wondered why I was so caught up in this. I was constantly worrying about Robert—who I genuinely believed wouldn't be in my life again and certainly not like this—when I had just started a new job and one that I felt I worked hard for.
I opened my eyes, and checked the time on my phone which I always tried to avoid doing as it worsened my 'trying to fall asleep'.

"Hi." I spoke into the phone.

"Kara! How nice it is to hear from you, how are you love? How's America?"

"It's good, Mam. Everything that I hoped for, actually." I whispered into the phone, hoping not to wake Maya.

"That's great." She cheered. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah. Well, I was hoping for your advice."

"Sure. What is it?"

"Remember, maybe two years back, when I told you about this guy that I met in New York and he was an actor, Robert." I waited for her to reply in hopes I could continue if she knew what I was talking about.

"Oh yeah, I remember him." She realised after a moment before going silent again.

"We broke up, two years ago obviously. He didn't tell me he was moving, and anyways it just got messy. So we broke up." I said with short breaths.

"When Maya and I went to work the first day, Robert, was there. I didn't know it, but he was the main actor of the film." She gasped slightly.

"Since then, it's been weird." I paused. "Can I honest?" I asked her.

"Of course, Kara." She unknowingly sympathised.

"We kissed, and then I found out that he's probably dating this other girl. I'm not sure why I bothered with him again, but I feel bad for her." I bit my lip.

"So what are you asking?" She questioned.

I realised. "Huh, I don't know." I laughed.

"If you think she should know, tell her. Don't spend your time hung up on some boy who doesn't appreciate you, or anyone else for that matter. Just don't worry about all of that, you didn't get that job and you didn't move just to worry about some stupid boy." She told me, and I felt at ease knowing my own mother would give me advice.

"Maybe you should come home for a week, a little holiday." She joked but with true intentions.

"Maybe, well I'm not sure when I can with work. The minute I know when I have a few days spare, I'll be on the next plane to Ireland."

"Good, we miss you here." I agreed.

"I miss you too." I smiled although no one could see me.

-
Friday
5:09pm

Robert and I agreed to meet at a café after work and although we could have made our way here together, I made sure that didn't happen.
I pushed off meeting him from when I originally promised. After the call with my mother, I immediately checked the next morning for any days I could take off.
Coincidentally, the following week—I had free.
I knew that if something horrendously bad went down between us during our talk, a week away from each other could relieve any lingering awkwardness.
Robert walked through the doors swiftly, looking around for me with patience.
Once he spotted me, he walked over to me and avoided ordering anything. He had a determinant but sweet look on his face.
I picked two seats in the corner of the café, making sure it was out of sight. Robert sat in the seat infront of me.