epilogue: day mcdlvi

e p i l o g u e :  d a y   m c d l v i

I stop on the corner of the street, glancing both ways before crossing. It's been four years since I've stepped foot in North Beach, but I remember it like the back of my hand.

Our old house hasn't changed in the past four years. A small, single-family brick house like every other on the street, a neat garden in front courtesy of Mom, flowers lining the walkway up to the front door. I step onto the porch, and the front door immediately swings open. Jeremy's smile is bright enough for the both of us, which is a good thing, since my smile has been growing smaller with every step closer to the house.

"Ally!" Jeremy engulfs me in a tight hug, and I breathe in the familiar and comforting scent of his cologne, which hasn't changed since high school.

"Hey Jeremy." My voice is much more subdued than his, but happy nonetheless.

He pulls back, mouth tugging down in a small frown. "You should have told me you caught an earlier flight. I would have gone to pick you up."

I can't help but laugh at that. Classic Jeremy. He's been back for a week already, but I delayed my flight as much as possible. I only caught an earlier flight because the original one had been canceled, and there were no more flights for the day. I didn't bother telling anyone, only texting Jeremy when I was already in a cab.

"I can't very well ask the birthday boy to make the trek all the way to the airport just to pick up his baby sister." Jeremy scowls at that, but his lips curl up into the slightest hint of a smile, eyes glinting with humor. "Anyways, how are you? How's New York?"

"Oh, it's great," he gushes. I raise an eyebrow skeptically, remembering the exhausting few weeks I'd spent in New York with him before starting college. It was always bright and noisy, and everyone was rushing about as if they couldn't afford a moment's rest.

Before he can say anything else, Mom and Dad appear in the doorway, looking happier than they have in a long time. Dad's hair is graying, and Mom seems to have recently dyed hers a bright red that I remind myself to tell her doesn't flatter her in the slightest. But other than that, and some deeper wrinkles, they haven't really changed, just like the house.

"Ally!" They greet me warmly, though we haven't seen each other in years, as if the bad memories of the past have been forgotten.

They haven't been, but we can at least pretend they have, if only for the time being.

* * *

I walk into Java, the local coffee shop that I frequented back in high school, pleased to find that it's still open and the pandemic hasn't shut it down like so many of the other small shops and businesses on the quiet street.

The shop is rather empty, just a couple of customers in the booths, reading books or typing on their laptops. I recognize Miriam behind the counter, even with her mask, deep in conversation with a boy and girl, who both look a couple years older than me. The boy looks vaguely familiar—a regular back when I first found this place back in sophomore year of high school.

Miriam glances up, her eyebrows furrowing for a few seconds before her eyes light up. "Allyra King!" she calls, heading towards me as I approach the cash register. "I haven't seen you in years. My, look at how much you've grown!"

"Hi Miriam." I smile, even though she can't see it with my mask on. I'm surprised she remembers me, let alone can recognize me with my lower face covered. "I'll take—"