day 2

d a y   2

"It's ... not a good idea," Cian told me last night. His expression was hesitant, unsure, and I couldn't read his eyes.

"But it's possible? It doesn't break the rules or anything?" I pressed. I just wanted a yes or no answer. Hopefully yes.

Cian skirted around the question for a few more minutes, but eventually he relented. "Fine. Yes." He heaved a sigh, as if I was insufferable. He had been looking up at the sky, but his eyes then snapped to mine, utterly serious. But I was being dead serious as well. "If you really want to see your family, you can, as long as they don't see you. But if they do see you, then you're in trouble. The rules work differently for them than for everyone else. In general, as long as no one recognizes you, then you're fine. But if your family so much as catches a glimpse of a finger, a hair, then the deal's off. It's an incredible risk to go anywhere near your family during this four-week period. We generally advise against it."

But it was good enough, for the time being. And after letting the news sink in for a few minutes, I followed Cian back to the apartment, feeling excited for the first time in over a week.

I could see my brother again.

* * *

I wake up feeling refreshed, more rested than I've been in a long time now. After returning to the apartment, it was nearing one in the morning, so Cian bid me good night after making sure that I was really fine and headed back to his room. I returned to the guest room, falling asleep almost immediately.

This time, there weren't any nightmares.

Needless to say, it feels like a good day. I've finally gotten a decent night's sleep—I hadn't realized how much of a toll the past week had taken on me, both physically and mentally—and I'm going to go see my family today, check up on them, even if they won't know I'm there.

I enter the kitchen, stomach rumbling, extremely loudly, because I haven't eaten in almost two days now.

Cian's already there, sitting in one of the two seats at the counter, a book in one hand, eating cereal from a bowl with the other. He looks up as I enter, lips curling into a bemused smile when he catches sight of me. "Good morning. You look ... better."

I give him a small smile. "I think I'm finally beginning to come to terms with everything," I admit. And it's true. When I looked in the mirror earlier, I still cringed at the unfamiliar reflection, but I'm beginning to adjust to the changes. Now that I'm not crying about everything wrong with my life, I have to admit that at least the colors look nice together. I'm wearing an oversized black t-shirt, cutoff shorts, and my favorite pair of ankle boots, and the whole ensemble gives off a sort of "alternative" vibe. It's not something I've ever worn—or been able to pull off before—but now the look somehow works. Even if I do run into anyone I know, I doubt they'll recognize me.

"That's good," Cian replies, finishing his cereal and getting up to place the bowl in the sink. "Are you hungry? What do you want to eat?" I watch as he walks over to the fridge and begins to rummage around in it.

"Cian." He pauses and looks over his shoulder at me. "Don't worry about me. I'll just make some toast or something. You should get ready for work."

"Are you sure?" He shuts the fridge and glances at the clock. He needs to be at work in twenty minutes, and it's a fifteen-minute walk. I nod. After lingering for a few more seconds, he heads back to his room and quickly returns with his bag. He rushes out of the apartment with a final wave, and I'm left by myself.