chapter sixteen: bodyguard

• • •
Tayla

    Noah keeps a firm grasp on my hand while he pulls me behind him through countless amounts of tunnels. I can't help but smile to myself when I realize he is maintaining our pancake agreement when it comes to holding hands.

     "You have a lot of piercings Tayla." I look to the left and raise my head all the way up to look at Becca, who is still slung over Trevor's shoulders. He really meant it when he said he didn't want to put her down, but at this point I think she has just accepted her fate. She has her hat off now, revealing the bangs I saw peeking out from under it earlier. I wish I could pull off that hairstyle.

     I clear my throat. "Yeah. I got them pierced when I was a baby and I guess I just liked how they looked so I just kept getting more and more." I shrug.

     "How many you got?" Trevor asks.

     "Twenty four." Noah peels away from his conversation with Everett to answer the question for me. After we left the court I could see a mood shift in Noah. I think the reality of our situation is hitting him now, but I don't bother asking if that's the reason for his crankiness. I'm not one to poke the bear...

     Most of the time.

     Trevor whistles. "That sure is a lot. All on those tiny ears? How do they even fit?"

     "Who said they are all on my ears?" I smirk. "I have twenty four on my ears but twenty six in total."  Everyone shoots their heads towards me with their eyes widened.

     Everett leans over and nudges Noah with his elbow. "Dude. You didn't tell me your chick had her nipples pierced." He fails at whispering quietly.

     I glare at Everett and I can't help but notice Noah's face peek with interest. His dark irises slowly travel down my body and lock in place while he stares at my chest. I bump my shoulder into him to snap him out of it. "I got my belly button pierced when I was nineteen." I move my shirt just the slightest to reveal my piercing on my belly button and a single stud right below it.

     Becca shifts on Trevor's shoulders to try and get a better look. "Wow you can barely even notice it. Why two?" She asks.

     "First one was just because I wanted to and the second one was because I was so mad at how my parents reacted to the first one." My parents have been very vocal about my piercings whenever I see them. They think they are gaudy and unprofessional in my work environment. That a bunch of sparkly gems in my ears are going to make me seem like a criminal or something.

     Which is exactly why I got my bellybutton pierced.

     I'm honestly kinda over it now and I debate all the time if I should just take it out, but every time I look down and notice the piercing I see a rare act of rebellion I had against my parents. So instead I just keep the tiniest ring and stud in there so it's barely even visible.

     "I should get my stomach pierced." Everett states. Becca and Trevor burst out laughing and I even notice a cracked grin from Noah. Everett throws his hands up in defense. "What!? I'd totally pull it off!"

     "Sure Kingston." Trev says while he gasps for air.

     We finally approach the entrance of what I can only assume is the locker room and we all stop. Finally putting Becca down, Trevor wraps her in his arms and squeezes her so tightly I think he might crack one of her ribs. "I'll text you as soon as I'm out of cryo." Trev looks deeply in her eyes as if he lost something in them. If I was him, I'd stare that hard too.

     "Good and make sure to grab a bunch of those pretzels from the plane." Becca points a finger into his chest.

     "Anything for you Mrs. Blake." He mumbles before pressing a kiss to her lips. He finally pulls away and makes his way over to me. He bends down as far as he possibly can to reach my height and I go on my tippy toes to try and meet him halfway. I give him an air cheek kiss and he gives me one in return. "Glad you enjoyed your first game T. I hope you can come to a bunch more."