Chapter 1

Title: The Dark Guardian

Summary: When the past comes back to haunt Simmons and his family in the form of a violent, psychopathic murderer, Rahas learns the truth of what it means to be a Dark Hunter. He will protect this little family, no matter what...

Pairings: The usual

Warnings: Violence, death, murder, an irredeemable antagonist. It won't be gory with unnecessary descriptions of injuries and copious amounts of blood, but it will be dark. Far darker than other sagas, so if that troubles you in anyway, you are most welcome to skip this saga.

AN: I know I'm on hiatus; I couldn't help myself. A short saga, only 5 or 6 chapters long. And I'll get straight to the point of the story. Fluffy goodness that NEEDS to happen will happen in oneshots and such.

In other words; prepare for PAIN :'D

-

Chapter 1:

The first floor of the labyrinth was the same as always; bright greenery, fresh air, chittering bugs and birds, and the occasional scurrying of hidden monsters.

Rahas supposed he should be grateful for the usual monotony, especially after recent events. The hex plague had largely been dealt with, with only a few reparations. But some of the mental scars still remained. Mostly the utterly uselessness many of the skilled and talented explorers felt during those times.

And, damn it, Rahas was one of them.

Trying hard not to allow his frustrations to show, Rahas turned to look over at the blue-haired landsknecht that had followed him into the labyrinth. Ugh, that sounded wrong as he had practically told the guy to follow.

Simmons turned his gaze away from staring at the foliage around them and looked over at Rahas. He wore his usual carefree expression as he tilted his head questioningly. "Are we going to train here?"

Yeah, might as well. Not like he had anything better to do.

A sharp, high-pitched noise caused Rahas to tilt his head to the side, instinctively listening. It was a sudden noise, not entirely out of place in the labyrinth with its grating bug noises and twittering birdsongs. And yet, it didn't seem entirely natural.

It sounded like a whistle.

...Meh, probably another guild or something.

Rahas glanced over at Simmons, musing about whether he should ask him if he had heard that sound with him, only to abruptly pause. Because Simmons himself had suddenly frozen to the spot, his eyes, although not wide, stared at the ground. Completely still and silent.

It...was unlike him.

"Hey-"

The question died the second Simmons pivoted, leading with his right foot as he unsheathed his blade. And took a swing at him!

Rahas immediately leaned back, dodging the attack by the skin of his teeth. The fleeting thought of that blockhead was taking training too seriously today immediately disappeared when he found himself ducking and dodging several slashing attacks.

"Hey, what the hell!?"

Ok, so that wasn't the first time someone swung a sword at him. Certainly not the first time someone pulled a weapon on him. But it was the first time Simmons did either of those things!

As Rahas dropped to the ground, forced into a rolling dodge, another thought flittered into his head; not only was the guy before him not acting like Simmons, he wasn't attacking like him either.