91

What followed after that was something Adelaide could not remember.

Because she lost all rational thought, there were things that did not remain in her memory, and there were things that were completely forgotten due to the emotional shock of killing her friend.

But now that her consciousness had reached the most remote point, for the very first time, she was confronted with the records of her past that were engraved within her body.

Adelaide, who lost her sanity due to an empty stomach, was left with only her instinct to consume human energy.

Absorption of energy was usually achieved through simple contact, but there was another way to be more certain, and that was ingestion. Literally, the intake of nutrients through eating.

The first person she aimed for was the wizard.

Adelaide, whose thread of reason had been severed, rushed to the wizard closest to her at full force and bit him on the shoulder. Because she was not stable, she no longer thought he was dirty. The energy gradually absorbed into her body was rather pleasant.

Adelaide smiled, curling her eyebrows like a fox as she bit the wizard's limbs. The warriors swung their swords and attacked her, but she didn't react as if she couldn't feel pain.

She just kept eating like crazy for a long time. She was like a hungry beast.

"Monster...!" Someone shouted.

Her self that day was no different from a monster even in her own eyes. The sight of her smiling brightly in a form that no longer looked like a person was beyond cruel and bizarre.

Having eaten all of the wizard's energy, Adelaide went straight to her next prey.

It was the warrior who came with the wizard. The warrior tried to escape, but it was for nought. After he suffered from excruciating pain, he was finally able to find rest with his death.

So, in the cabin, only Adelaide, Lupinus, and his father remained. Adelaide, who had quickly cleared her second prey, turned her head towards the bedroom.

She saw a man crouching on the floor.

"S-Spare...!"

The middle-aged warrior's body was pitifully shaking. Unlike the other warriors who could resurrect, he did not have another soul piece, so this was his last life. He did not want to end his life in such a painful and terrible way. So he squeezed his last strength and climbed onto the bed.

"If you attack me, I'm going to hurt him too!"

He couldn't do anything to save his life, so he used his son as a shield. The relationship between the two seemed to be close enough that she covered him during the dragon attack, therefore he thought that maybe that monster might stop if he did this.

But there was no hesitation on Adelaide's face.

With her lips painted red with the blood of the other warriors, she smiled brightly again and approached him one step at a time.

Perhaps because of having absorbed a lot of energy, her gait was more relaxed than before. Her stomach that had a hole in it was filling up with new flesh.

She looked at them and licked her lips. She had eyes that only saw them as prey, even Lupinus, whom she loved so dearly.

"Uh, Ahh! Save me, save...!"

The warrior cried out in tears as he realized that what he was holding onto was a rotten rope. Adelaide casually walked up to him, smiling, as if she couldn't hear anything.