Ch.3 The Sorting Hat

The door swung open at once. A tall, black haired witch in emerald green robes stood there. She had a very stern face.

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall." Said Hagrid.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here."

She pulled the door wide. The entrance hall was so big you could a house in it. The stone walls were lit with flaming torches, the ceiling was too high to make out, and a magnificent marble staircase facing them led to the upper floors.

They followed Professor McGonagall across the flagged stone floor. They could hear the drones of hundreds of voices from a doorway to the right, the rest of the school must ready be here, but Professor McGonagall showed the first years into a small, empty chamber off the hall. They crowded in, standing rather closer together than they would usually have done, peering about nervously.

"Welcome to Hogwarts." Said Professor McGonagall. "The start of term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony becuase, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room.

"The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has it's own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours.

"The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting. I shall return when we are ready for you, please wait quietly." She left the chamber.

Y/n looked around and noticed that almost everyone else looked terrified. No one was talking much except Hermione, who was whispering very fast about all the spells she'd learned and wondering which one she'd need. Y/n was a little nervous about the Sorting Ceremony, despite knowing what will happen. His mothers told him about the ceremony when they went to Hogwarts, but the thought of the entire school watching him made his stomach turn. Luckily Merula was there to help calm his nerves, her hand never leaving his.

They waited for what felt like hours before Professor McGonagall had returned.

"Now, form a line and follow me." She told the first years.

They all got into a line and walked out of the chamber, back across the hall, and through a pair of double doors into the Great Hall.

It was a splendid place. It was lit by thousands and thousands of candles that were floating in midair over four long tables, where the rest of the students were sitting. These tables were laid with glittering golden plates and goblets. At the top of the hall was another long table where the teachers were sitting. Professor McGonagall led the first years up here, so that they came to a halt in a line facing the other students, with the teachers behind them. The hundreds of faces staring at the looked like pale lanterns in the flickering candlelight. Dotted here and there among the students, ghosts shone misty silver.

Professor McGonagall silently placed a four legged stool in front of the first years. On top of the stool she put a pointed wizard's hat. The hat was patched and frayed and extremely dirty. Professor McGonagall held a long role of parchment.

"When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted." She said.

One by one, Professor McGonagall called the names of the first year students. When the hat was placed on their heads, the hat would shout out the name of the house the new student was placed in, and would be followed by the cheers from that respective house.

"Carmine, Y/n!" Professor McGonagall said.

Y/n excitedly made his way to the stool and sat down. Professor McGonagall placed the hat onto his head, he smiled as it slid down his head and covered his eyes. There was a moment of silence before Y/n heard a voice in his head.

"Oh? Another one of you.. I remember your mother when she came to Hogwarts. Peculiar that one. She always wanted to be strong, to stand out and become something more. I can see those same qualities in you, so it only seems right that you should be in..."

"SLYTHERIN!" The Sorting hat shouted.

The Slytherin table erupted into cheers as Professor McGonagall took the sorting hat off. Y/n quickly made his way to his new house. Professor McGonagall continued the ceremony, and Y/n was displeased to say the least when Draco was put into Slytherin. When Harry's name was called for the Sorting, the hall fell quiet. Everyone waited as the Sorting hat was placed on his head. After a moment the hat shouted.

"GRYFFINDOR!"

The hall erupted into its loudest cheer yet, especially at the Gryffindor table. The Sorting continued when everyone had calmed down. When it was Merula's turn she was also sorted into Slytherin. She made her way to the table and quietly sat down next to Y/n, taking his hand into hers once more.

Next to them at the table, a girl with pink and blue hair tied into a long ponytail was speaking to another girl rather loudly.

"Hi! My name is Patricia Jorja Fixico, but you can call me PJ." PJ gave a large smile to the girl sitting next to her and showed she was wearing braces.

"Uh, hi. I'm Pansy. Pansy Parkinson." The other girl said, looking uncomfortable.

At the teacher's table, Albus Dumbledore had gotten to his feet. He was beaming at the students, his arms opened wide, as if nothing could have pleased him more than to see them all there.

"Welcome!" He said. "Welcone to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, i would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you."

He sat back down. Everybody clapped and cheered. Y/n laughed at the absurdity of the Professor's words. Y/n looked at the table and saw that all the plates were now filled with food.

The hall was filled with laughing and conversation as the students ate. PJ made it a point to only talk to Pansy, much to the girl's ire. Y/n looked up from his food and saw that Hermione, from the Gryffindor table, was looking at him. Y/n smiled and waved at her, which she returns before continuing to eat. As dinner came to a close, Professor Dumbledore got to his feet again.

"Ahem, just a few more words now that we are all fed and watered. I have a few start of term notices to give you. First years should note that the forest on the grounds is forbidden to all pupils. And a few of our older students would do well to remember that as well."

Dumbledore's twinkling eyes flashed in the direction of the Gryffindor table.

"I have also been asked by Mr. Filch, the caretaker, to remind you all that no magic should be used between classes in the corridors. Quidditch trials will be held in the second week of term. Anyone interested in playing for their house teams should contact Madam Hooch. And finally, i must tell you that this year  the third floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a very painful death."

Some of the students laughed, but it was clear that Dumbledore was being serious. With a final goodbye, Dumbledore sent everyone off to bed. The school Prefects rose to their feet and guided their houses to their common rooms. The Slytherin Prefect lead the students lower into the castle, towards the dungeons.

As they entered the common room, the Prefect directed the boys to their dorm and the girls to their's. The common room was dark with green decorating most of the room. Unfortunately for Y/n, he was forced to sleep in the same dorm as Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle as all the others were quickly taken by other students.

"Great, now I have suffer sleeping in the same room as you." Draco said.

"Its not a picnic for me either, Draco. So how about you shut up and go to sleep." Y/n said.

Not wanting to, or more accurately too tired to, Draci didnt argue and went to bed with a scowl. That night was filled with the snoring of Crabbe and Goyle, but Y/n couldnt wait for the next morning, when his first classes would start.