[ 𝟬𝟬𝟭. ] click!

NEVER ONCE HAD AURORA LEVINE ENJOYED SCHOOL

NEVER ONCE HAD AURORA LEVINE ENJOYED SCHOOL. In all fairness, hardly anyone did - especially not Annalise, Aurora's best friend.

Annalise and Aurora had met through school, in grade four. Aurora had accidentally spilled her orange juice all over Annalise's pretty, pink princess dress, causing the nine-year-old Annalise to throw her drink over poor Aurora.

They ended us becoming friends, somehow.

Since then, the two were inseparable. Annalise knew everything about Aurora and vice versa. Like, seriously, the two knew every little detail about each other's lives.

Even how their first kiss had happened.

As soon as Aurora had kissed her crush, Franklin Rogers, at the cinema, she went to Annalise's house, spilling each detail to the girl until there was nothing left to tell. You'd think that because of their close bond, their parents would be friends, too.

But that certainly wasn't the case.

Odessa Levine and Nick Stevens hated one another. Neither of their children knew why, but it was painfully obvious - especially when the four would go out for a meal together. Odessa and Nick would argue over who should get to order first or whose turn it was to pay for the food - it never ended.

Eventually, it got to the point where Aurora and Annalise would simply leave the restaurant, rolling their eyes when they could still hear their parents arguing.

Despite not knowing the reasoning behind their hatred, Aurora could take a pretty accurate guess.

It sounded silly, but Nick had 'accidentally' tipped spaghetti bolognese on Odessa's expensive, white dress, so she muttered many insults about him under her breath - understandably. Though, it turns out, Nick had heard every word and they ended up arguing for the whole night.

They had never had a polite conversation since.

Aurora sat between her mother and Annalise, Nick being seated to the right of his own daughter

Aurora sat between her mother and Annalise, Nick being seated to the right of his own daughter. It was another one of their weekly 'Restaurant Nights', as they liked to call it. Every Monday, the four would go to the same restaurant to eat dinner, and it eventually turned into a tradition.

"Have you got a new shampoo? Your hair is looking awfully healthy today!" Odessa exclaimed, pointing to Nick's head.

Nick was bald.

"Oh, wow, how original. You know, you're such a child, Odessa." Nick rolled his eyes, poking his fork into his food aggressively to emphasise each word. "I could practically see that joke coming from a mile away, you say the same thing every time you see me."

"Yeah, well, I wish I'd never have to see you and your bald head again. If I had it my way, we wouldn't have even met!" Odessa glared at Nick, a glare so hard that Aurora was surprised she hadn't burnt a hole through his forehead.

By the looks of things, Nick would have a hole burnt through his head by the end of the night.

"Well, that sounds just great! I wish I'd never met you and your . . . your-"

"My what, Nick?"

"Your . . . Oh, forget about it! Point is, you and your stupidly white dress make me want to rip my hair out!" Nick pointed his fork of pasta towards Odessa warningly, narrowing his eyes into slits.

"What hair?" Odessa laughed, clutching at her stomach as she doubled over. "How could you forget that you're bald?"

"You wanna get out of here?" Annalise leaned over to Aurora, desperate to get away from the constant childish bickering between the two adults.

"I wanted to leave the minute we stepped foot into this place, they never stop arguing." Aurora's eyes flitted from Odessa to Nick, who were still too stuck in their own argument to realise that Aurora and Annalise had already stood up, walking out of the restaurant and leaning up against the brick wall outside.

"They are so annoying," Aurora groaned, leaning her head against the rough brick. "Do you think they'll ever become friends and, like, stop fighting over who has the best style?"

"Oh, they'll never stop," Annalise sighed, looking up at the night sky, which was full of stars, being illuminated brightly. "Part of me wishes that they never will, though."

"What do you mean?"

"It's normal for them to fight. They argue, we have enough and go outside, they don't realise and carry on arguing, finish their food and find us . . . Then, we go home and repeat the same thing the next week. It's our little routine, so I don't really want anything to change." Annalise's voice was small as she spoke, small in volume and confidence. Aurora hadn't seen Annalise look so emotional before.

"Yeah, I get what you mean. I just," Aurora sighed, "I kind of wish that we could sit and have one - just one - meal together, one without the arguments."

Before the spaghetti bolognese incident, Nick and Odessa had been very close friends, so when they first began hating each other, Annalise and Aurora found it very odd. Though, they adjusted to it quickly, considering every word shared between the two adults was full of malicious intent.

Annalise had always hated change, hence the reason why after she had become used to the fights, she no longer wanted them to stop. Change was simply confusing for Annalise - if she liked to have things one way, why change it?

Aurora was much different, which was shown through her style of photography. She masked the imperfections because she didn't want to be reminded of the fact that the world isn't perfect. She allowed them to change the appearance, she liked to change how things are viewed, hence her love for change. Aurora just wanted to go back to when she was five-years-old, when the world was perfect to her.

When her only worry was whether she would have one or two chicken nuggets for her dinner.

Aurora had fully zoned-out at this point, staring off into space until she heard the all-too-familiar sound.

Click!

a/n

odessa >>>

written: 11.3.22
published: 12.3.22