Truth Circle; Partying; The New Professors

TW: Mentions of losing someone to a neoplasm, consumption of alcohol, being hungover, party scene (relatively innocent in the sense of: no drugs).

CW: My fellow emetophobes, beware. (To be fair, it's literally a tiny scene, but if you have really severe emetophobia like me — ngl I was cringing when writing that scene — just read with caution.) It's not super detailed bc of my own discomfort:)

George

George sat up suddenly, his heart thudding, tears sliding down his face. "Fuck," he whispered. He clambered out of bed, throwing the tangled covers aside. He ran over to Fred's bed and threw open the curtains. Fred lay there, mouth slightly open. His red hair spread out in a halo around his head; it gleamed orange in the sunlight. Fred stirred at this and sat up abruptly at the sight of his twin's tear-stricken face. "What happened?"

George sighed, then rubbed his eyes, feeling extremely vulnerable. "Nothing. It was stupid. Go back to bed."

"Was it a nightmare?"

George hesitated, then nodded.

"You haven't had one of those since we were four. It's always me who gets the bad dreams. What happened?" Fred asked curiously, his round, brown eyes alight with a mixture of curiosity and concern.

George brushed it off. "I told you, it was nothing. Now get dressed. We've got class, and Kenneth and Noah are starting to wake up."

The twins got dressed, made an attempt to wake Lee up — but eventually had to abandon that idea for fear of their lives (Lee refused to wake up on time, but would somehow make it to all his classes) — and greeted Kenneth and Noah before making their way to the Great Hall.

George was sitting at the Gryffindor table, across from Fred, when Harry came over and dropped into the seat next to George. George passed the course schedules for third-years to Harry. "New third-year course schedules. What's up with you, Harry?" he asked upon noticing Harry's distressed expression.

"Malfoy," said Ron, sitting down on George's other side and glaring over at the Slytherin table.

George looked up in time to see Malfoy pretending to faint with terror again.

"That little git," he said calmly. "He wasn't so cocky last night when the dementors were down at our end of the train. Came running into our compartment, didn't he, Fred?"

"Nearly wet himself," said Fred, with a contemptuous glance at Malfoy.

"I wasn't too happy myself," said George. "They're horrible things, those dementors . . ."

"Sort of freeze your insides, don't they?" said Fred.

"You didn't pass out, though, did you?" said Harry in a low voice.

"Forget it, Harry," said George bracingly. "Dad had to go out to Azkaban one time, remember, Fred? And he said it was the worst place he'd ever been, he came back all weak and shaking . . . They suck the happiness out of a place, dementors. Most of the prisoners go mad in there."

"Anyway, we'll see how happy Malfoy looks after our first Quidditch match," said Fred. "Gryffindor versus Slytherin, the first game of the season, remember?"

The only time Harry and Malfoy had faced each other in a Quidditch match, Malfoy had come off worse. Looking slightly more cheerful, Harry helped himself to sausages and fried tomatoes.

Hermione was examining her new schedule.

"Ooh, good, we're starting some new subjects today," she said happily.