03

"ah, seeing as you were invited here, do you happen to know mark-hyung?" i asked as we talked more

my question, however, made him release a little laugh. he responded, "...well it's not like i'm friends with him or anything...i sort of was dragged here when i was passing by. mark-hyung and i only know each other because we see each other from time to time in our cinematography classes, and my brother is friends with him. i guess it was sort of my fault for not being able to say no to him when he invited me." his smile faded a bit, and for some reason i felt hurt when the shine in his eyes disappeared. "that also somewhat answers why i'm not going crazy inside that party, too."

he was unexpectedly in the similar situation as me.

he continued as he waved his hand back and forth in front of him, as if telling me to forget about it and directed the question back at me. "so then, why is someone as handsome as you not in there? it's rare to find someone like you still sober here."

complimenting me - - it wasn't something that i got everyday. so putting aside the fact that i could feel the embarrassment and some gross feeling creeping up, that specific phrase distracted me from the question for a while.

" o-oh uh, i'm just not feeling in the mood right now." i answered, and tried my best to direct the conversation to something else. "a-anyways, what's your name? i'm lee donghyuck." i gave a smile that i felt was the first time in a while since i had put on a genuine smile, actually enjoying someone else's presence.

"it's nice to meet you, donghyuck. my name...-" annoyingly, some drunk person that looked like mark-hyung's roommate or something, interrupted the art student who didn't seem to be mad at all. instead, he calmly directed the man back inside the house as it seemed like it was the best option then. after all, someone drunk on a balcony could bring some trouble, too.

he sat back down as i watched with awe because of his patience handling the man.

with a little laugh, "well, anyways, it's huang renjun." he ran his hand through his hair as he looked up at the sky. "and well, this night went better than i expected it to be." i felt like after that statement, he had a little tint of pink that spread through his face - - or maybe i was seeing things.

the night continued on as our talks went into deeper topics. but of course, all things come to an end. even the short happiness i felt when i was with him.

"oh...it seems i have to go now." renjun looked at his phone to check the time. so standing up to walk towards the door, he waved goodbye at me.

it could've ended there, but my hand reacted a bit faster than usual and it gripped onto the smaller's sleeve. and i am honest when i say i felt a shiver creep up my back as the cold fabric from his clothes were in contact with my fingers. his physical self was actually much colder than how he felt when he talked to me.

the second he looked back, i felt a little tint of hostility in his eyes that immediately disappeared when he realized i was just holding him back.

"w-wait, is it okay if i get your number?" i asked, at the same time questioning my own sanity. why did i even ask him that?

his lips said "sure", but his eyes lost the shine that he had from just a moment ago. weirdly, the warm atmosphere that we had created suddenly became...darker.

with that, i thanked him and he walked away into the crowded house.

even if he was acting a bit weird near the end of our encounter, i felt addicted to his presence and looked forward to seeing him again. it felt like i was researching something new and i was eager to know more about it - - just that, the topic was about him.

i was left once again, alone. though, the silence that i was left in was disturbed when jisung and chenle came outside to tell me they were done here.

"what about jaemin?" i asked, hoping that they didn't drink so much that they would still be able to understand me. though they usually didn't go as far to that.

"he..." ah, of course. he and mark-hyung were close so i guess it wouldn't be something out of the ordinary if he stayed overnight.

though, even the na jaemin has his own reasons for getting drunk and wasted as the sun rises, and it's not something i can ocmment about. i, myself, have my own reasons as to not touch alcohol or any of the sort. so i guess, i wouldn't blame jaemin nor chenle or jisung for enjoying their time in their own way.

i took the two younger ones, along with the sleepy jeno, back to their apartment and i went home, for once, kind of enjoyed my time there. and just like in class that day, the pale and pretty face of the months-older boy.