07

everyday after that, we would bump into each other in the cafeteria

into each other in the cafeteria. the guys would continue to tease me and the more i saw renjun, the more i thought my heart couldn't handle it. this feeling made me sick, annoyed, but i was addicted to it. it made me feel like i was longing for more. i enjoyed the picture of him that stayed in my head like i was able to relive the moment each time we had crossed paths. 

days, weeks went by, the most interaction we got were bumping into each other at times in the area of the campus. it included times where i would sit outside the entrance and i would see him pass by when going home -- like the first time i saw him. 

but there were times when the guys invited me to parties, and i would be able to find renjun sitting in the corner as always. i would sit next to him and we could talk for hours as the night grew. during those times, i could feel the stares from jisung and chenle piercing through me because i could feel the red tint on my cheeks. truth be told, my heart would never be able to be still when i was physically close to him -- and the two knew that. 

he treated me so nicely, but just like the past times, renjun would feel colder whenever someone else besides me was close to him.

"oh come on, kid, why won't you drink?" some drunk fine arts major student, who seemed to at least recognize him from lectures, came to bother the smaller who just stared emptily at him.

"..." his warm energy immediately turned freezing which led the drunk to go somewhere else. 

that part of renjun still confused me, but at the same time it was flattering to see he was only smiling at me and no one else. it was comforting to know someone looked at me as a person and friend, not some object.

"sorry about that, donghyuck-ah." he would apologize as his smile melts the icy atmosphere he created himself.

whenever he called my name, it was unlike how others would call my name only to get mad at me or if they needed something. it wasn't like how my parents back then would call my name in a demeaning manner, and it wasn't like the guys who would want something from me, or tease me. it made me enjoy my name being called by him. 

"i-it's fine... also you can call me something else, you know? donghyuck feels so formal."

"hm...then i'll call you hyuck." he paused as a tint of pink was seen on his cheeks, "and you can call me by my nickname -- injun." 

that was somewhat the beginning of, just like what the four had said, my little crush on ren-- injun, 2 and a half months after i got to know him. whenever he went to the parties we went to, it made me...start to enjoy them.

.

.

.

"hey, are you free next week?" i received a message from renjun one wednesday morning. he invited me to walk with him in the mall and maybe get some lunch. it would be a lie if i said i wasn't happy to see a notification from him. i had no classes nor did i have any plans for the day so i agreed as soon as i read it. i wore a plaid button-up shirt overlaying my usual white shirt, and put on my jeans, then i went out. 

it seemed like the weather was getting colder lately. winter would soon to come in a month or so. stepping out of my house, i found myself taking a deep breath. my heart wasn't thumping normally -- i was too nervous that i couldn't keep myself calm. or was i more towards excited? the butterflies in my stomach weren't easy to explain. 

after a short walk, i met up with renjun. 

"injun-ah!" i called as i found the small renjun, who had his hair down for the first time -- and i think it made him look much prettier. he was wearing a long beige coat which covered his grey shirt and black leggings. i noticed he also wore a black skirt. his clothes complimented his appearance and it made him look smaller than he actually was. 

he turned around as his eyes lit up when he saw me. "ah, hey."

"s-so why did you ask me to come here?" i asked as we walked towards some shop he wanted to go to.

the boy who was then walking next to me, didn't respond until a few seconds after, "...i just wanted to hang out with you for a while." his tone trailed off, ending with a sad and soft sigh. noticeably, his eyes suddenly lost the sparkle he always had.

"let's get some drinks, my treat." soon after we left the store, the smaller said as he held my right hand and led me into a little cafe.