CHAPTER 3: Before the night comes

I danced in my room and got hyper then fell asleep after Lucas' call.

Great, tonight will be the prom, Lucas asked me to go with him, I didn't bought a dress, a pair of heels or what.

For god's sake I can't go to the prom with him in T-shirt and jeans right???????

NO I CAN'T.

It's already 1:00 pm now, mum just called me out for lunch.

I put on my plain white tee and jeans and went to the town centre to join my mum.

I found her in a restaurant.

" Hey mum."

"Hey. The prom? Are you going?"

"Yeah, just hang out with my friend there."

"I didn't know you bought a prom dress."

"Nah, a normal dress is okay."

"Uhha, have fun."

I went back home at 2:30, I started to drag some dresses out in my wardrobe. And realized I do have prom dresses. The problem is they don't really fit me and old-fashioned

A blue dress? Nope.

A Lincoln green one? Nope.

Or a white robe? NOPE.

WHY IS IT SO HARD TO CHOOSE SOMETHING TO WEAR???

Finally I chose a little smudgy black knee-length dress I bought from H&M-It suits me perfectly, reflects my personality, dark, mysterious to strangers, and can be a bit crazy.

I had a shower, put on my dress. Then my phone rang. It's Teresa.

"I'm at your front door, no matter you have a date or not, I'm gonna dress ya up."

"K."

I opened the door and bought her to my room.

" You're wearing that dress to a prom?"

" Yes." I forced a smile.

" It's more like a party dress without glitter. You shouldn't wear that even you don't have a date." Teresa frowned.

"I have a date, Lucas."

"Then you can definitely not wear this!"

I didn't notice that she wore her gown to my house, with a pair of Converse and hair done.

" I don't have anything better than this, just help me with my hair and makeup so I wouldn't look so terrible." I said as I rolled my eyes.

"That's why I'm here." she said as she smiled.

Teresa took out her heels and her cosmetic-bag from her L-size bag. She put my half-dried hair into a bun and started working on my face. She talked to me about her boyfriend, but I didn't pay attention. I was daydreaming about me and Lucas-about how awkward tonight will be.

I was overwhelmed when Teresa had my makeup done. A bit mascara, honey brown eye-shadow, pink lip gloss, nearly colourless, and rosy cheeks. I looked much better than usual, but still looking like myself. Teresa just hid the ugly me and showed the pretty me.

"Thank you."

"Now you shall go to the prom!"

"That's a Cinderella reference, I got it."

I looked at the clock: 5:53 pm.

"Oh my god I gotta go." I grabbed my dark blue cardigan out and my envelope and whispered.

"Oh me too, can I keep my bag here?"

" Sure. Go together?"

"Alright, let's go. Oh wait-"

She untied my bun and let my hair fall on my shoulder, my hair became wavy.

" Pretty! We can go now!"

I walked through the door with Teresa, It was a bit cool, so I put on my cardigan. Teresa's boyfriend was already there, so I told them to go first.

" Have fun with Lucas! Don't forget Kathleen and Rachel, they have to date each other tonight." She giggled.

"Yeah, Have fun with your boyfriend." I gave her a You-Know-What-I-Mean smile.

I waited for a minute, then Lucas showed up.

"Sorry, I'm late." He said

" You're not, it's not 6:00 yet."

" For me, if a girl was here before I arrived, I'm late."

"Uhha. " How sweet, how gentlemen-like, so I didn't argue with him.

He wore a Fred Perry shirt, new jeans and leather shoes. Seems like we both agreed we don't need to dress up like kings and queens for prom or both don't have time to prepare for prom. (His fault, he didn't have to ask me so late.) But he's looking great, casually charming, without him realizing this piece of fact.

"Do I look so dump?" I whispered, those words slipped out my lips accidently.

"What?" Lucas said.

"Nothing," I told him, actually, something.

We walked together to school, I hold his arm even I'm not wearing heels, I just wore a pair of black flats, but he offered me his arm, so I hold it anyway.

"Um... " He suddenly said, looking at me.

" What?" I just let myself out in space, then he bought me down on Earth.

"Nothing. You look pretty today, different."

"Um?" Did he just said that I'm beautiful?

" But still looking like yourself, I mean, you just embraced your beauty today."

I inhaled, feeling myself blushed. Seriously he didn't have to say something like this. He made me start feeling like flying, we're not even in the prom yet!

"Um.. Thanks, you look great too, handsome, uh?"

Seems like he was happy about what I just said.

"I never heard you said someone is handsome except celebrities and fictional characters."

Oh really?

" It's your pleasure to be the exceptional case." I said.