The Argument

The door slammed after Bernardo and he went over to Maria at the kitchen table, avoiding the private conversation Kamila and Anita went into her sewing room. Anita sat down at her sewing machine and began to sew together some white cloth.

Kamila sat at a lonely wooden chair and sighed, she had a headache from all the commotion at the dance but the one thing that cured it was the thoughts of Riff he couldn't escape her mind. It was wrong yet he was so right.

The talking turned into shouting, Bernardo arguing that he doesn't want Tony in is house, Maria arguing back that she pays rent in the house as well. A loud whir from the sewing machine snapped Kamila away from her eavesdropping. A door slammed Maria had gone to her room.

"Kamila! I need to talk to you." Bernardo called from the kitchen. Kamila slowly stood up she knew what was awaiting her.

She pushed the silk curtains aside, Bernardo was sat at the table his ands clasped.

"Vamos, siéntate." He said gently.

She scraped a chair and sat on it her head bowed down.

"Look at me." He ordered, she lifted her head.

"You can't be mixing with these Jets Kamila, there bad people." He warned. "That's because they hate you and the sharks." She said.

"No. They hate Puerto Rican's. They think we are dirty scum who don't deserve to live in America!" He exclaimed. "If I ever see Riff in this house or near you again I will kill him!" He threatened.

"You can't tell me what to do. I'm not your sister." She argued. "I'll do what I want."

"You are under my roof you do as I say!" He ordered. He leaned in closer to her. "And if you don't I will kick you out onto the streets." He whispered.

"Anita won't let you do that." She stood up from her seat, at that moment Anita walked in Kamila knew she had heard every word. "Won't you?" Kamila asked.

Anita stood between Bernardo and Kamila stuck in the storm. She looked at Bernardo and then at Kamila. She slowly shook her head.

"FINE I DON'T WANT TO STAY HERE ANYWAY!" Kamila shouted. She stormed away grabbed her coat taking down the coat stand flung the door open and ran out.

She could hear Anita calling after her but she ran through the back allies and hid in the cover of the shadows.

She walked along the dark streets which were much scarier in the dark. She passed a flickering lamp post and dodged the puddles on the pavement.

She walked until she found a shop with a glowing neon sign which said 'Doc's Drugs'. It was closed but she knocked on the door anyway they had to let her in.