Doc's Drugs

The lady had invited her inside to sit and get warm. Kamila had told the lady all about her life and the recent events at the dance. Valentina was her name and she knew every single one of them, she told Kamila stories of when they were young she was particularly interested in the stories about Riff though.

"¿Quieres un poco de agua?" Valentina asked. Kamila simply just nodded.

Valentina went to the other side of the counter and started preparing her drink. Suddenly, a lot of noisy men and women come bursting through the door. They were Jets. Kamila scanned the group but Riff wasn't there. She glanced at Valentina with a worried look and ducked her head concealing her face behind her hair.

"Who's this pretty lady?" One of the Jets grabbed her shoulder and spun her around on her chair.

A silence swept over the room as everyone realised who it was. Kamila quickly brushed of the Jets hand and stood up ready to leave. Three Jets blocked the door and she was like a cornered animal.

"Well if isn't that girl who caused all the commotion at the dance." Graziella spoke. Kamila looked in her direction as the other women laughed at her.

"Y'know you shouldn't try so hard to get with Riff he already has his someone." She spoke again.

"I wasn't trying 'to get with him' he came onto me first." She replied, Graziella scoffed. "Yeah right what would he want with a dirty Puerto Rican like you."

Her remark made Kamila's blood boil "More than his bitchy white girlfriend that's for sure." She replied. The women gasped and Graziella stood up in anger.

"You wanna dance, we can dance." She said.

A jet hit the jukebox and a jazz theme started playing, Graziella waltzed up to her, Kamila tried to back away put was shoved into the middle by the Jets. Graziella kicked up her leg but Kamila avoided it by twirling away. Graziella was more enraged now she tap danced her way right up to Kamila, but she was caught off guard. Kamila slapped her across the face and shoved her back onto her seat.

Finally, she could leave but she wasn't done yet a Jet stepped in her way and forcefully danced with her. Kamila strained against his grip and loosened herself free but he wasn't done he tried to get at her and she punched him right on the bridge of the nose. He went down in blood and pain.

She smiled but was pushed down to the floor from the back. She could feel more and more bodies pile on top of her, pulling at her skin.

She screamed for help and then they were pulled off her. She squeezed her eyes closed till she could breathe again. A tear slipped from her eyes, when they opened she saw Riff standing above her, he grabbed her and pulled her up from the floor, he then dragged her to his side by the waist.

"You lot are a bunch of animals!" He shouted. The Jets heads all dipped to the ground. "You should be dishonoured and feel ashamed of your selves."

There was a pause, Kamila looked up at Riff but he was facing the gang.

"Why dance with a dirty Puerto Rican when you can dance with the lovely, sexy clean ladies!" He jeered and the gang roared with laughter. Kamila shoved his grip off of her. She was in absolute disgust, Bernardo was right. More tears slipped from her eyes.

The laughing and mocking were so loud it hurt her eardrums but all went quiet. Anita had just entered all eyes turned to her.

"Anita!" Kamila cried and ran to her safe arms. "Tenemos que ir rápido, son animales" Kamila sobbed. Anita nodded and led Kamila through the door way again the Jets tried to block their entry but they shoved passed.

Kamila looked back with tears in her eyes. Riff and her locked eyes and his grin began to fade.