twelve, near-death with a water bed

❝ Ah, daughter of Hephaestus? ❞

☆ ☼ ☆

     After almost getting caught by the police twice, Sheila's brain finally grasped the car's mechanism. She had momentarily examined it to see the difference between it and the one back at Camp Half-Blood. The others let her do that while they read a journal left on the floor. They discovered they had been stuck at the Lotus Casino for five days. It was June twentieth. The date made Annabeth and Grover glance at Sheila, but she dismissed it. To her, it was more necessary that Percy explained his latest dream.

Upon her request, he did. It seemed as if the details were missing to him due to the Lotus Casino's magic, which altered people's memories, and, of course, he couldn't remember the crucial information needed for their quest. Sheila attempted to recall which name the servant had called the monster in the pit, but she couldn't either. Her dream about her father had destabilized her.

     Annabeth suggested two used nicknames for Hades — the Silent One and the Rich One — yet neither sounded quite fitting to the demigods. Sheila then defined how the room looked since Percy hadn't mentioned it, and Grover informed them it was similar to Hades' throne room's usual description.

Percy shook his head. "Something's wrong. The throne room wasn't the main part of the dream. And that voice from the pit... I don't know. It just didn't feel like a god's voice."

     There was hesitation in Sheila's head as she recollected how the servant had spoken. It was weirdly familiar, but she couldn't point out why. She didn't share her personal opinion with the others, preferring to be sure before assuming anything.

Annabeth's eyes widened at the information Percy shared. The boy asked her what troubled her, but she stuck to the idea of Hades sending an invisible thief and that something must have gone wrong.

     "And what could have gone wrong?" Sheila inquired, sceptic. She stopped at a red light, avoiding other drivers' eyes so they wouldn't see a now thirteen-year-old driving. "I mean, Hades is a powerful God. He wouldn't have gone through this without checking every detail."

"But if he stole Zeus's symbol of power from Olympus, and the gods were hunting him, a lot could go wrong," Annabeth claimed. "So this thief had to hide the bolt, or he lost it somehow. Anyway, he failed to bring it to Hades. That's what the voice said in your dream, right? The guy failed. That would explain what the Furies searched for when they came after us on the bus. Maybe they thought we had retrieved the bolt."

     Sheila understood her friend wasn't entirely speaking the truth as her face paled. Maybe she, just like Sheila, hypothesized someone else had caused all this. The witch wasn't convinced, but she hoped her friend had suspicions similar to hers.