thirteen, no magic

❝ A plan bound to fail. ❞

☆ ☼ ☆

     The shadows of Valencia Boulevard sent shivers down Sheila's spine as she and her friends looked above at gold letters etched in black marble: DOA RECORDING STUDIOS. Her eyes trailed underneath it, where NO SOLICITORS, NO LOITERING, NO LIVING, was written on glass doors. Midnight would strike any minute now, yet the lobby was brightly lit, and people crowded it. A tough-looking guard wearing sunglasses and an earpiece sat behind the security desk.  

A plan had been settled while the quartet had looked for the studios, but Sheila wasn't sure if she liked it. It had prominent flaws. One mistake could cost them the entire quest, which was why she had a plan B if things didn't work out. The pressure was high.

     Percy turned to them, asking if they all remembered the plan. Sheila merely nodded as she glanced inside. The people bearing her last name had been here countless times before her. Grover gulped from beside Sheila and sarcastically said he loved the plan. 

Annabeth then asked what they all feared, "What happens if the plan doesn't work?"

     "Don't think negative."

"Right," she scoffed. "We're entering the Land of the Dead, and I shouldn't think negatively."

     Sheila rolled her eyes as they shifted onto her friends. Their arguing wouldn't help them in their quest. It only added to everyone's anxiety. She stared at Percy when he took the four pearls out of his pocket, doubt written on his face. It seemed that Annabeth's words affected him more than it appeared.

Hesitantly, Sheila put a hand on his arm. "Don't worry, we'll be fine. It might be your first plan that isn't so bad." She gave the others intense looks, making Annabeth apologize sincerely while Grover mentioned how far they had gone and that succeeding wouldn't be much of a problem.

     Percy looked at them three, feeling grateful. He wondered why they were still by his side after all that happened on their quest. Nothing went according to plan, yet they stayed. Even Sheila, who he didn't know was his friend or not, trusted him more than once. It made him think about a specific verse in his prophecy. The Oracle couldn't have meant them.

Slipping the pearls back into his pocket, Percy gave the others a nod he hoped to be confident. "Let's whup some Underworld butt."

     The inside of the DOA lobby made Sheila shiver. Death was all she could feel. She didn't dare imagine how it would be once in the Underworld. Muzak played softly on hidden speakers, giving a somewhat tranquil ambience to the room. The carpet and walls were steel grey. Pencil cactuses grew in the corners like skeleton hands. All the black leather seats were taken, and people sat on them or stood up to stare out the window and wait for the elevator.