sixteen, favourite daughter, but never son

❝ Do not let them define you as just a witch with a cursed bloodline. ❞

☆ ☼ ☆

☆ ☼ ☆

     Reality was easy for Sheila to manipulate when it came to people who didn't know about the existence of her world. Chiron had told her once she could make them see what she wanted them to see. After years of mastering the art of manipulation with Luke, she could change anyone's perspective at will in seconds. One spell, and she could make anyone believe the visions she forced upon them.

It was revealed useful once the battle between Percy and Ares was over. Sheila only had to snap her fingers to convince the L.A. news that the explosion at the Santa Monica beach had been caused by a crazy kidnapper firing a shotgun at a police car. The news did the rest themselves, saying he accidentally hit a main gas that ruptured during the earthquake. They added that the kidnapper (Ares) was the man who had abducted Percy, her and two other adolescents in New York, forcing them across the country.

     In the public's eyes, Percy Jackson became a victim. It turned out that he wasn't an international criminal after all. He had caused a commotion on that Greyhound bus in New Jersey, trying to get away from his captor. Sheila added to the lie, manipulating people into believing Ares had caused the explosion in the St. Louis Arch. The waitress who had taken a picture of them confirmed this with a picture of the quartet with Ares.

The rest of the story was just to lift Percy's ego. Sheila was sure of it. Reporters called him brave and said he had stolen a gun from his captor in Los Angeles. He battled him shotgun-to-rifle on the beach — and they weren't technically wrong. No one could justify the strange ring of fire, but everyone pretended it was linked to the earthquake. Sheila could hear Chiron's sermon already. They blamed the explosion of five police cars on this and the ruptured gas main. The captor used the distraction to flee. No fatalities had occurred.

     Annabeth gave Sheila a look as she noticed the proudness written on the witch's features. Sheila winked at her discreetly, listening to the reporters retelling the stories she implanted in their minds. All she and the others needed to do was nod and act tearful and exhausted (which was the easiest part). They perfectly played victimized kids for the cameras.

"All I want," Percy spoke, choking back his tears, "is to see my loving stepfather again. Every time I saw him on TV, calling me a delinquent punk, I knew... somehow... we would be okay. And I know he'll want to reward every person in this beautiful city of Los Angeles with a free major appliance from his store. Here's the phone number."

     Upon hearing Percy's words, Sheila wondered if her family could see her on screen. She knew they probably didn't since watching the news wasn't one of their habits. Still, a glimmer of hope burned her insides, praying they would, just this once. Even if she remained mad at them, she wanted the interview to incite them to bring her home.