Chapter Five - Malfunction

The doors in front of me slid open. As I exited the hospital I was greeted with the cool evening air. The sun was beginning to set as the town around me transitioned into night life. Cars headlights illuminating the roads, businesses turning on their lights, street lamps lighting up the sidewalk.

It was 6 PM, about twelve hours after I got off work. The building I had just exited was St. George Regional Hospital. I wasn't injured too badly...but after I told the nurse I had been bitten by a dog, they made me stay for a whole bunch of test. Maybe not the best idea, but I couldn't exactly tell them the truth.

I walked through the parking lot and to my car, not even bothering to take the hospital wrist band off. First things first, I definitely needed to get home and get a quick shower. I wanted to make it to my favorite place for coffee: the Blue Bird Cafe, before they closed for the night. That gave me about a two hour window, probably less. I really hope April is working there tonight.

Blue Bird Cafe...

The little bell jingled above my head as I entered the Cafe. Upon entering I immediately noticed April's bright smile directed towards another customer. I was silently celebrating inside that I managed to catch her during her shift.

I walked up to the counter and April's smile seemed to somehow get even brighter when she saw me. Being near closing time there was only one other customer in the Cafe, and it seemed like they wouldn't be here for much longer. Having some alone time with April sounded exciting and equally terrifying. I think she's cute, and I enjoy talking to her, but anything beyond that might be out of my comfort zone.

As I sat down in my regular seat, April walked up to me almost comepletey forgetting about the other customer. "What'll it be? The usual?"

"Yeah, that sounds good."

"Isn't it a bit late for a cup of coffee? Won't you be wired?"

"I actually work the night shift at my new job! Not that I'm unfamiliar with staying up late, studying and what not."

"Oh yeah! I still can't believe you work for Fazbear Entertainment! I was so surprised when I heard that. God, the fun I had at those places as a kid!" I couldn't help but immediately cringe as April mentioned the word "fun" and Fazbear Entertainment in the same sentence.

"Y-Yeah...I've been having so much fun...hehe." I raised my hand to scratch my head, and April's eyes immediately went to the wrist band around my arm with concern.

"Oh my God! You went to the hospital? What happened?"

"Y-Yeah...I just got bit by some rabid dog while I was heading to work, it doesn't even hurt anymore, honestly."

"Geez, that sounds really scary. I'm glad you're okay though!"

By the time our conversation had ended, the other customer in the Cafe had left and it was just the two of us alone. Now that my coffee had finished brewing, April walked away and prepared my order with a bright smile on her face. I sat patiently, starting to feel a little awkward from the silence.

She turned around with my cup in her hand and made her way back over. Just before I could reach for the coffee, the cup bumped the counter and spilled a large amount of steaming hot coffee...all over my bandaged hand. "Gah! Fuck!"

I'm getting really tired of being hurt!

"O-Oh my-, I-I am so sorry Y/n!"

"J-Just get...some paper towels! Please?!"

"Yeah, of course!" April ran to grab some paper towels behind her and I used them to somewhat dry my hands. I stared to unwrap the coffee soaked bandage from my hand, wincing from the slight pain. "Look, I'm really sorry, just...head through the door in the back, it's behind the counter. I'll lock the front door and help you. I don't want your wound to get infected, and I need to close the Cafe anyway. Sound good?"