C1

The bus rolled into the town of Forks in the late afternoon of one rainy day in March.

A girl with long dark brown hair and chocolate eyes stared out of the window at the rain-soaked streets and surrounding forest.

" Great, rain," she thought to herself  in sarcasm .

The girl didn't really like rain or anything wet because it made her feel cold and miserable .

The town seemed to have that in abundance , which didn't give her a joyous feeling whatsoever .

The bus pulled in at a small bus station opposite a diner that seemed to be fairly busy if the girl had to judge from her point of view through the window she was looking through .

" That would be my first place to start ," she thought," someone might be able to point me in the right direction ."

She automatically followed other passengers as they moved to the front of the bus to get to the doors .

She only carried a backpack. It was her only luggage . She had nothing but the clothes on her back and the few items inside the  backpack .

She'd been in a rush when she'd left the children's home . She wouldn't have brought anything anyway . Nothing really belonged to her . Only the personal items in backpack .

Having no other luggage made it easy for her ,so she didn't have to wait around in the rain like the passengers whose luggage were packed away in the luggage hold on the side of the bus .

She made her way to the diner , crossing the street carefully , even if it meant getting soaked . The traffic wasn't much , but she didn't fancy being run over by some poor sod whose eyes couldn't see her through the curtain of rain .

The diner doors opened before she reached it . A man in forties or late thirties, wearing a blue police uniform , walked out , causing her to halt in her tracks .

A police officer wasn't what she wanted to see right now . Especially when she ran away from a children's home.

What if he recognised her ?. Surely she'd been reported missing ?.Her face might be all over the police station bulletin boards across every State by now .

She thought of running , but that would bring too much attention to herself . Attention wasn't what she wanted , nor needed right now .

What she needed was to find her remaining relatives . More importantly her father , who she found out about a few weeks ago , when she found a letter her mother had written to her before her death .

She swallowed painfully . Her mother had been her only family for as long as she can remember . She'd never spoken of her father . Not even his name was mentioned .

The girl had always wondered about him . Mostly it was the basics of how he looked and so on .

She was sure that she resembled him because her mother had blonde hair while she herself sported this awful dull dark brown colour.

She had her mother's button nose , though, and her full rosy lips . It was something she was proud of .

A smile formed on her lips as she moved towards the diner's doors , the police officer forgotten , if only momentarily .

A warmth hit her as she entered . She reveled in it for a moment before slowly ...a little hesitantly, walked over to the counter to take a seat on a tall uncomfortable round barstool .
              ________
" Can I get you anything , Hun ?", a beautiful mocha skinned woman asked the girl , who'd sat at the counter for only a few minutes , observing the customers , wondering who she could ask about her father .