C12

" So...are you going to tell us or not?," Sara asked Charlene as they walked through the school hallways  with Joslynn.

" Tell you what?," the younger Swan girl countered, pulling her denim jacket tightly around her.

It was cold today. It cut through  skin and bone like a very sharp knife. Charlene was thankful for the jacket  that Charlie  had bought her the other day; the warm  fuzzy  inner lining kept her warm enough. Though, since her hands and face was exposed to the elements,  she still did feel the cold. Her nose felt like it was a frozen block of ice.

" Hello...Jasper Hale? Ring a bell?"

Charlene  let out a sigh of contempt. "We just talked, nothing more," she said.

That was the truth, though Jasper had a lot of things to say the previous  day when he so unceremoniously swept her away from school.

Her eyes flickered to him now, where he stood with Alice and Loyd, his eyes  meeting  hers briefly, a half smile finding its  way onto his lips.

She couldn't  help but smile back and felt quite stupid for that. He is a senior and she's  a mere sophomore. On top of that, he is a vampire . Nothing can happen  between  them.

"Oooh, and you say nothing happened?," Sara teased," Look at how you two smile at each other. Come on, Char, give us some details, Girlie."

Charlene shared a look with Joslynn, who was quiet as the ever bold Sara fished for answers that Charlene  wasn't  okay with just handing out like Christmas  presents.

A hand grabbed  hers suddenly  and she jumped, her heart pounding so hard in her chest that she was sure it might break her ribs.

She looked  back to see that it is Jasper. She wished she hadn't  looked.

" What are you girls talking about?," he inquired, entwining his and Charlene's fingers together.

Sara giggled, causing Charlene to want to face-palm because  Sara's  actions was giving it away that they were discussing  him. Plus, she was sure his supersonic  hearing clued him in already,  but he couldn't  tell them that. It would be weird.

" Just stuff," she told  him, hoping that he won't  say anything that might make the other  girls suspicious,  or worse, more interested in their friendship.

" Hmm, okay," he said,  a small smile playing on his lips.
Then he let go of her hand and stepped  back. " Listen,Lene, I'll  see you after school  , alright?"

She nodded,  giving him a bright smile. She wanted to see him. There wasn't  a doubt in her heart or mind that she wanted to.

She watched him walk away, ignoring  Sara's  incessant  giggling. Joslynn didn't  giggle, however, and she was really  glad about that. She didn't  need two Sara's.

She felt someone bump into her harshly, and looked to see who it is ,only to growl inwardly.  Norah Simmons, the popular girl who seemed to be dating that  vile boy Gordon  Newton now.

Why would  she be bumping into Charlene? What did she do to Norah? It was probably  the most popular  thing to do next to bullying  other girls and sleeping with  half the boys in school.

" Oh gosh, what's  her problem?," Sara asked , glaring at Norah's retreating form.

" Probably  saw one of the cutest boys talking to us and thought ' Let's  ram into Charlene ' ," Joslynn  offered an explanation and Charlene couldn't  help but  think that her friend was  probably  right on  that.