The Liar

Nishikata carefully opened the door as if he was sneaking into the place.

The frigid white room was filled with all kinds of get-better cards. Their vibrant colors, though out of good intentions, did nothing to help the space's heavy atmosphere. To the boy, the cards were just painful reminders of the current state of her disease. He continued into the room. Takagi was sitting upright on the bed, reading a book. The grey hospital robe on her made his heart hurt just a little every time his eyes landed on it. Nishikata recognized the book as the novel he bought her just three days ago, and it seemed like she was already at the end of it.

"Nishikata!" She seemed to have noticed the boy's presence as a bright smile emerged from her face.

"Takagi-san..." He greeted back.

"Thank you for the book. It's really good."

"You read it so fast."

"I have nothing to do all day after all." She sighed. "All have to I look forward to are your visits."

"Everyone is worried about you..." Nishikata muttered with a blush. "And they miss you a lot too..."

And by 'they', he meant 'me'. Of course it was true that Takagi's classmates and friends did worry for her and missed her, he was speaking for himself then. Nishikata was the one visiting her the most often aside from her parents ever since she was sent to the hospital, sometimes even staying overnight to take care of her. All his weekends, all his holidays, he spent them in this little white room with her. Not like he cares, this was where she was.

"What do you got there?" Takagi nudged at his hands which were hidden behind his back.

"This?" Nishikata said as he revealed the paper bag he was holding. "These are somethings I brought for you to kill time with."

"Oh?"

"Like this." He took a deck of hand-drawn cards out of the bag. "This is a little one player card game I made myself, and I think it would be pretty fun."

"Come here to me." She said with a smile as she adjust her position to sit on the side of the bed, leaving a spot for him.

Nishikata went over and sat down beside her.

"May I have the bag?"

He handed her the bag and she took a look inside. Mysterious boxes, cards, and books all rapped tightly like Christmas presents. It was a bag full of surprises.

"You put a lot of thoughts into these, didn't you?" She smiled.

"I have to make sure you won't be bored." Nishikata glanced her way. She took one paper box out. The box was yellow and pawn-sized, similar to the jumpscare box 3.0 he had made before.

"What is this?"

"Open it."

Takagi carefully opened the top. Inside it was yet another box. It was made out of cardboard with many small holes on its black exterior. She gave Nishikata a glance as she took it out. She began to examine it. The holes were all covered by different-colored cellophane from the inside.

"Hold on." Nishikata ran over to the light switch and turned them off. The room went into darkness, with the dim heartrate monitor acting as the only light source. The city light from outside the window caught Takagi's attention, which were soon blocked by Nishikata closing the curtains.

"What is this about, Nishikata?" Takagi asked. "Are you trying to do something dirty?"

"I'm not!" She could almost imagine Nishikata's flustered face. "There is a switch at the bottom of the box."

Takagi felt a bump and flicked it. Suddenly, light escaped from the tiny holes on the box. The luster were casted on the ceiling like stars in a night sky.

"Wow!" She gasped.

"What do you think?" Nishikata asked as he sat down on the edge of the bed.

"This is phenomenal, Nishikata!" Takagi couldn't stop awing at the wonderous sparkles that filled the ceiling.

"Glad you like it..." Nishikata blushed. He glanced at Takagi. Her face was lit up with joy, like she was never sick.

They sat in silence as Takagi played with the box, spinning it round and blocking off some holes. She was just like a child. Her eyes never left the starry night, and her smile never fade a bit. Yet, Nishikata couldn't help but feel his heart twitching when his gaze lands on her hospital robe.

"You will get better..." He murmured.

"I will get better." Takagi repeated as she turned to him with a grin still on her face. "So before then, be sure to visit me a lot."

Nishikata nodded.