The Patient

"Mount Fuji... How nice..." Natsu murmured.

Despite it almost being Christmas, the rural streets of Tonosho saw no interest in celebrating this western holiday. Barely any houses bothered to put on lights, if any. The only reds and greens remained the torii gates and snow-covered shrubs from the blizzard that had just gone by. Though there was no festivity, the dull season didn't hold back on presenting its colors, or rather, the lack of them. Bald trunks, cloudy sky, and white snow as far as the eyes could see. It was almost like the world had a gray filter over it. Not even the usually gorgeous orange sunset could make its appearance. Adding to the rather depressing view was also the bone-piercing coldness, which alone was enough to discourage any thought of going outside. The void of the streets further enhanced the lifelessness of it all.

"It must be freezing there though." Nishikata returned his gaze from the outside of the window and took a sip from his hot chocolate. Maybe the sip was a bit too rushed. The moment the chocolate touched his lips, he immediately jolted his head backwards. The coco was still piping hot, yet its sweet and bitter richness already seeped through between his lips, dispersing their flavors all over his palate from that one drop. As he savored the taste, he turned his attention to the English vocabulary pocket book on his left hand.

"Oh yeah! I haven't really thought of that." Natsu replied. She was sitting across from Nishikata in her wheelchair. Her gaze was fixed somewhere outside the window, as her fingers were gently tapping the table.

The coffee shop was empty, with its only two customers being the boy and the young girl. Besides the two's small talk and the quiet noises from the kitchen, the space was silent. No matter how the gale howled outside, they couldn't hear it, only observing it from the swaying branches across the street.

Footsteps attracted both their attention, as the waiter approached them with a tray.

"Sorry for the long wait." He said as he took a plate and a cup from the tray and set it on Natsu's side of the table. "Here is the lady's cake. Enjoy."

"Thank you so much!" Natsu gave him a nod of gratitude.

For the young girl, bittersweet hot cocoa didn't pique her interest. She was more into a cute and delicate strawberry shortcake with milk tea. Her excitement for the sweet couldn't be contained. Her eyes almost looked like they were emitting light, sparkling under the dim lighting of the café. She was leaning forward with her nose almost touching the whip cream. If she wasn't confined to the wheelchair, she would probably be hopping with excitement by now. She cut a piece with a fork and put the whole tip into her mouth, tasting every last bit of the whip cream.

"Yum~" She exclaimed as she put her left hand on her cheeks.

"You really like sweets huh?" Nishikata smiled, eyes still fixed on his vocabulary pocket book.

"I get to eat SOME sweets from time to time. I can't really exercise so my mom tells me to watch my diet." Natsu replied before digging in for another bite.

"Oh no." Nishikata dropped his book and frowned slightly. "I'm not spoiling you by taking you here, am I?

"Don't worry about it!" Natsu gave him a grin.

"Anyways, How is school?" Nishikata sighed and decided to change the subject.

"Oh! It has been great!" Natsu said, "We were learning about this scientist called Stephen Hawking."

"Oh, I know him. He's that astrophysicist who studies about blackholes, right?" Nishikata replied as he took a sip of his coco.

"Yeah! Did you know he had this rare disease and was supposed to pass away at a very young age?" Natsu cheerfully explained, "if that really happened, the world of astrophysics might be very different! Yet, by some miracle, he lived to 76!"