End of The Line

Cherry blossoms on Shodoshima that year looked different from the past. Instead of the vibrant and fantastical pink, it was more powdery with many mixes of white. It was like the flowers merged with some remaining snow from winter. Still, it was stunning nonetheless. There were many places on the island to enjoy this beautiful flower festival, from a designated tourist attraction with large plains of cherry blossoms to a small park beside the shrine containing only a few but lush trees. In the latter location, a trio that would make anyone sympathize with was making their way into the grass.

"Take it slow, Takagi-san." Nishikata turned around and said to the girl a few steps behind.

Takagi nodded as she squeezed out a smile. She already appeared tired, even having no mood to enjoy the magnificent petal rain brought by a spring breeze, which she would otherwise awe at like a child. Her legs were noticeably trembling, and she would most likely fall over if it weren't for the two crutches supporting her. She was panting, her eyelids had drooped, and her face also seemed pale. Yet, all these were just the result of mere minutes of walking. Nishikata frowned at the sight.

"Wait for me a little, Natsu-chan." He turned back and said to the girl in the wheelchair he was pushing.

"It's ok. Go help Takagi onee-san" Natsu urged as she put her hands on the wheels. "I can move on my own, plus we are almost there."

Nishikata smiled in relief and ran back to Takagi. He crouched down in front of her and let her get on his back, as he took her two crutches.

"Thank you, Nishikata." Takagi allowed a smile, still catching her breath. "But what about the crutches?"

"We can put it on the back of Natsu's wheelchair." Nishikata replied as he quickened his pace to catch up with Natsu at the front, who had already gone a fair distance.

"I'm sorry for causing trouble to you two again." Takagi sighed. Even on Nishikata's back, she didn't seem relaxed. Her body was still tensed up, with her hands supporting herself on his shoulders as if to keep a distance between the boy and her.

"It's ok!" Natsu gave her a wide grin. "It's more fun to have everyone here!"

"Natsu is right." Nishikata tilted his head to the back and smiled as well. "There's nothing to be sorry about."

Receiving these reassurances, Takagi let loose a little as she slumped onto Nishikata's back. Finally, she seemed relaxed enough to enjoy the cherry blossoms. Or maybe she was resting with her eyes closed, or even having fallen asleep. After all, she remained motionless for a good while. Her gentle breathing could barely be felt, even from their touching torso.

Eventually, they found a shade that was unoccupied as they went under it. The big cherry blossom tree was at the height of its bloom, with every branch covered in pink. A gentle shake or a light blow from the spring breeze could easily cause a wonder of a petal shower.

Nishikata dropped Takagi gently against the trunk, then he rolled out the picnic mat. He then helped Natsu get off the wheelchair and sit onto the mat, before getting Takagi on it as well. He took out a basket from under Natsu's wheelchair and began laying out the contents inside. Many petals were falling, landing on the mat as another thin layer of decoration.

"It's beautiful." Takagi said in a weak voice, attracting Nishikata's glance. He turned to her direction. Despite her drooping eyelids and pale look, she admired the pink petal rain like she was seeing it for the first time. However, the usual childlike look from her was gone, and replacing it was a lonely and frighteningly mature smile.

"Yeah! It bloomed so much this year!" Natsu exclaimed. Her energetic excitement was in harsh contrast with Takagi. If it wasn't for her condition, she would probably be running and jumping on the grass.