One More Chance

(Thank you guys for 1K!!!)

"It'll be a while before we reach the Stronghold," Dawn commented all of a sudden. "Why don't we have a little fun now that we're here, Aether?"

Aether hummed, letting his mother know of his approval. "What are you planning to do?"

With a smirk (and a quick knowing glance at the red wyvern within the clouds), she dove underneath her son.

"Hang on!" she said, before sending a lift of air with her body. She carried her son with the currents and thrust the dragonet up midair. Aether wobbled for a bit before steadying himself with his wings, trapping the air with the slots in between each feather.

He watched his mother spin below him, her laughs trickled out like spilled water from a tipped vase. Her wings curved like a bowl as if they were inviting Aether to float right above her.

Aether's body lowered slowly, his abdomen facing his mother's. But before his claws could even touch his mother's scales for a slight second, Dawn flapped her wings back and lifted her son further into the air, her body further descending as an opposite reaction. Her son happily floated as she swerved her body upward, her tail tapping on her son's shoulder. Following his mother, his feathers gripped the air like a goat climbing a cliff as he launched himself upwards.

The pair soared within the free and open space, not minding the other wyverns that floated past. The two of them swirled higher together, Aether copying the motions of his mother's wings that gracefully trailed beside her. Gaining speed, he and Dawn rose up high where the clouds fail to reach. He caught a glimpse of the high noon's light reflecting off of the clouds. The sky was as blue as a blue jay that just woke up and the void space around them rang in his ears and softly sang its daylight song. Aether's gray eyes seemed to glimmer in color, his pelt shimmered in the light as followed his mother back down to the sea of clouds. He can feel the spray of fresh mist soak his feathers from the rays of the sun. He felt the soft buzz of electricity phase through his pelt; he shivered as it pulses blood back into his ears.

Looking at his mother, he stuck close to her. Even if he longed to get to know the unknown skies of the Imperii, he would rather not relive that dreadful moment.

But even as he stood close to his mother to feel safe, his fears felt realized when he felt someone else brush his pelt beside him. He quickly leaned closer to his mother as the clouds parted ways to reveal the view of the bottom.

"Hey, kid," a familiar voice said to him. He let out a startled gasp and tears were about to fall from his eyes. But when he saw the familiar midnight scales of Crimson, he let out a sigh of relief.

"Wanna know how to gain speed fast?" he asked. Aether swore he could hear Dawn giggle from above him. Aether faced Crimson nervously and nodded. Crimson shook his head in amusement.

"Well, then. Stay close to me, kid," he replied, gently nudging him with the tip of his wings. Aether looked at his mother for approval. Dawn looked at Aether and back at Crimson before nodding at her son.

"I trust him," she whispered to him.

Aether hesitantly let himself drift apart from his mother. His body floated above Crimson's back and he could feel his stomach go up and down in nervousness. The air currents that Crimson sent from flapping his wings upwards were stronger and harsher than his mother's which helped him stay afloat at a higher altitude. But even so, even if the winds pierced his feathers and flesh with a sharp edge, he could still feel a lingering warmth leak out of Crimson's pelt, as if he were fighting an opponent with a spear that he had made blunt on purpose.

He then nosedived, Aether copying his movements. The current that carried the feathered wyvern seems to attach him close to his father. He could feel his blood rush away from his head once more as they grew closer to the ground in every second that passed.