Stronghold of Germanicus (2/2)

Stygian led them to a room tucked away in a corner. "This should be the General's room. He has waited a while for you."

Dawn entered first, as she was more familiar with the 'principal' of the establishment, though as she is soon to find out, is not who she expected it to be.

Her eyes widened in surprise. "B-Bane?" she said, confused and bewildered. A green-colored wyvern sat propped up behind a desk like a statue.

"Dawn," the wyvern greeted curtly. "it has been a while."

Aether noticed the tension in the air, and he hid behind his mother and Stygian. Wait..they know each other?

Dawn nodded slowly. "It has been. I didn't expect you of all dragons to take over as General." She slowly looked around the room, but saw that no one else was with Bane.

"Where's Magnus?" she asked. "I thought he'd be kind enough to at least watch over his protege when he retires."

"Magnus is long gone, Dawn." Bane said nonchalantly. "Thought you knew."

Dawn was taken aback and she made a suspicious look at both Bane and Stygian. "Sorry. No one informed me."

Silence filled the air for a moment before Bane got up and walked over to her son, who was right behind her and the guard.

"So this little fellow is the one you sent?" he asked, looking at Aether peculiarly. "Don't you think that there's something...off about this one?"

"There's nothing wrong with him." Dawn replied defensively. "Of course no one is perfect."

"But don't you think it would be a torture to send a dragon with no protective scales into battle? I'd say he is as good as a maimed when he faces a beast."

Stygian then eyed at Aether carefully. Wait, does this mean that..?

"Of course you didn't notice, Stygian." Bane remarked. "Why else would you?"

Stygian bowed to his Master. "Forgive me, General."

"Don't bother." Bane replied coldly. "Your eyes have always failed you, like how you think taking in that unstable dragon as your protege would be a good idea."

Stygian remained silent. "I promised you that I would train her, and you know that I will keep my word."

"I know you will." Bane whispered to him. "Now go."

Stygian looked back and forth at his master and at Dawn and Aether. "B-But-"

"Go." Bane cut it off, but this time, his voice had a hint of venom, one that Stygian could already sense. The midnight-blue dragon slowly backed away and left, before closing the door behind him.

Bane scoffed. 'Now that he's out of the way," he went behind his desk and took out a long scroll and a pen. "let's talk business."

Aether hid his face behind his mother, his feathers trembled lightly, both in fear and anxiety. Dawn intertwined her tail with his to give her son courage.

"You want this little bird to join the front lines, no?" Bane asked in an amused manner. "Well, isn't that bold?"

"Though, I have to warn you, it's pretty rigorous this time around..." he said while fiddling with a pen.

Dawn looked at Aether before reading the scroll on the table. Her eyes examined the lengthy contract carefully.

"..."

Bane eyed her curiously. "Well?"

Dawn sighed before placing the contract down. "And how much will these...changes to the establishment cost me?"