Ancient Runes and The Revelation

The young wyvern lay limp, his body hovering in midair. His surroundings were dark. Dark and serene. His feathers floated around, submerged. 

The pain that inflicted his body before had long gone. What's left of it now is just...a calm, serene feeling that washed over his pelt.

He could feel his body being carried away gently. Dried up tears soaked his eyelashes, sealing them shut.

War...pain...death...terror...these words ring in his head like a never-ending alarm as he silently drifted underneath the waves of black.

Coldness...submerging....drifting...asleep...

He felt no need to breathe anymore, laying still at the mercy of the waves...

...

...

He felt a warm pulse amidst the waters. It approached him slowly and gently, like a butterfly landing on a flower petal to lap its nectar. 

He stirred, but he didn't wake. Instead, he felt more inclined to sleep as the warmth slowly wraps around him, like a dragon's tail gently wrapping around their egg, protecting them.

His breathing was slow and steady. He could feel himself smile as he felt the warmth approach his cheek, gently touching him as if giving a goodbye pat before he went off to his journey. He let out a sweet sigh, released from his fears that was manifested in a tear that bubbled upwards away from the warmth, into the cold waters with no surface to reach.

He lay still...as a familiar voice rippled in the waters.

"..Aether."

Slowly, the waters around him receded. His pelt slowly flowed with the currents as they grew lighter and lighter, no longer pulling his body down, keeping him suspended as the skies and land approach.

He let out a long sigh as he was brought back to Earth and slowly opened his eyes. Sunlight dappled the floor, the scent of flowers, wheat and plants filled the room, and he was in the company of a familiar wyvern. He was back in the hidden room. The vision was over.

He felt his claws relax. They left deep marks and the feathers on his claws were ripped and tattered.

Tempest stood before him and looked at him coldly, but her pupils that pooled at the center of her irises like a lake have lost its edge.

"You alright?" she asked, regret and relief rang in the feathered wyvern's ears. Aether took his time in responding.

"I...I'm alright, Tempest.." he replied, slowly coming to his senses. Tempest sighed and rose, letting go of Aether's cheek.

"Now you know, kid.." Tempest murmured to the young wyvern and to herself. "Tell me what you've seen."

Aether stared at her, trying to put what he saw through words. His mind was racing as he slowly put together his thoughts. He felt that through the vision, he had gained everything and nothing at the same time..

He took a deep breath, and told the elder what he saw. 

...

That was the darkness..the darkness that shook the whole of the Draconic Kingdoms like an earthquake forging a crack through the earth. The darkness that had caused the suffering and death of so many, leaving families and loved ones, friends and companions, teachers and mentors separated for eternity until the end of time.

"And that...is what I must stop, isn't it?" he asked, his voice cold and shaking, even though he already knew the answer to that. Tempest gave a colder nod in response.

"Yes..that is what you must do. And now you know why me and Dawn always stayed up late at night talking about you." the Saar muttered. "I don't know what Dawn was thinking into delaying this information to you..and keeping you isolated from the rest of the world..but what's past is past. You've already had your 15 years of happy childhood. Now, we have a war to prepare for."

Aether remained quiet, his words clutched in his throat. His body was petrified in the middle of the bright room, his gray eyes flickering within the light.

A war...all of this suffering...all of this pain..could I even be the one to stop it..? By..myself..?

The elderly wyvern sighed. "Once you start your days as a student of the Stronghold, everyone would have their eyes on you. Not because..you are the chosen one, of course. You know what I mean..do you..?"

Aether looked down at his claws and nodded. 

"Try not to pay any mind to them. Everyone will gawk at anything different nowadays..all you need to do now, is to reach the highest rankings in the Stronghold."

The Stronghold has a hierarchy..? 

"And the sooner the better. I have a very important discussion with my old friends about how to deal with all of this at the beginning of next year. You don't have much time left if you want a spot in the meeting, you know."

Aether stood still, deep in thought. A year..only a year to rise to the highest ranks..

Tempest looked at him endearingly and gave him a pat on the head. "Godspeed to ya, youngster.." she said, her voice losing its edge for a brief moment of calm. Aether looked up at her, his gray eyes darting slightly like a fly tasting unknown food with its feet.

Tempest, in an attempt to cheer him up, gave him a sassy smirk. "Hey. You have an ancient tome's worth of knowledge waiting to be awakened inside you. Just make it through rank by rank, and soon you'll be learning things you didn't know you're able to learn."

Aether nodded as Tempest ruffled his head before letting go. "Okay. I..I can do this."

I'll fulfill this prophecy and stop all of this suffering! They're counting on me. I won't let them down!