1-Everybody Knows That I'm A Good Girl

*third person pov*

Jennifer's right leg swayed calmly back and forth while crossed over her left. She isn't nervous, she doesn't get nervous, she's a talker. Ever since she was a little girl, she could talk and negotiate her way out of any trouble. She's charming. Besides, no one would think it was the pretty little housewife who started any of this.

"Mrs. Lopez?" One of the officers says and she snaps back into reality. The whole event is all that has been taking over her mind lately. "I'm sorry-. What was the question?" She asks, shaking her head at her own fault.

"Where were you when the fire started?" He asks. Jennifer feels a slight annoyance go through her body, but of course she wouldn't show it. "I was in the foyer.." She sighs as she starts to say.

"John had said he was going to take a nap. So I stayed downstairs and worked on one of my pieces. It wasn't until an hour later when I noticed any sign of the fire." She explains.

"But by the time I smelt the burning of my velvet curtains, the whole west wing of the house was already starting to spread, bursting into flames.." She says, switching into a softer tone.

She looks down, away from the officers, and tries to not embarrass herself as the tears stream down her cheeks. "I couldn't save him, I-I couldn't even get to the staircase." She says with her voice shaking.

Officer Monette places a box of tissues in front of Jennifer before turning to the other officer beside him. He sighs then looks back at Jennifer, who is now fixing her smudged mascara with a tissue. "Mrs.Lopez...How is it that you didn't notice there was a fire in your house until an hour later??" He asks in disbelief.

Jennifer's facial expression changes once the officer decides to question her. "I suppose you've looked for evidence after the fire?" She asks him. "Of course." He nods. "Then you would know that my house-.." She stops herself and lets her eyes get teary again. "Our house...is about five times the size of whatever you decide to sleep in at night and call a home. The fire started on the fourth floor, I was on the first floor, in the foyer." She says, getting tired of having to explain where she was.

"We could never even hear the dog barking from the second floor when we were eating dinner on the first." She says with slight attitude, but the tears cover it up.

Officer Monette sighs and takes away the box of tissues. "Thankyou Mrs. Lopez. We'll let you know if we find anything else out." He says and she starts to stand up.

"It's greatly appreciated.." She nods and goes to open the door to the interrogation room, but he puts his hand in her shoulder. Jennifer looks up at him and meets his serious gaze. "We'll keep in touch." He says and takes his hand away.

She nods without saying anything before stepping out and shutting the door.

Immediately she finds a bathroom in the Police station. She walks up to the mirror and fixes her makeup. It's hard putting on a show like that. Once she finishes, she throws the tissue away, grabs her purse and walks out.

Her driver was waiting for her outside, so she gets in and heads home.

-

The driver pulls into the long driveway and Jennifer feels a sense of comfort. It's nice to be home after spending the whole morning with Policemen. She stares out the window at the trees that align the drive way, then her front yard appears, which is twelve acres of land.

She observes the tulips as they slowly drive past her garden. "Will?" She says and adjusts herself in the middle of the backseat so her driver can see her. "Yes?" He asks with his deep voice. "What do you think about carnations?" She asks with her shoulder resting on top of the middle console. "For your garden I'm guessing?" He asks and looks at her.

"Mhm." She smiles sweetly and nods. He smiles too. Jennifer is the only who can ever make Will smile, even if it's just for a second.

"I think that's a great idea." He nods. "Me too." She says and moves back to where she was sitting properly.

She looks out the window at the burnt corner of her house. The walls have fallen in and the creamy white paint has turned to black. She hates seeing her once beautiful home so withered. But she doesn't worry about it. It was never her plan to burn it all down, just the right side of the fourth floor. Luckily it all worked out.

Jennifer didn't like that it had to be done in such a damaging way, but she's already planned on hiring construction workers to fix it up as soon as possible. It wouldn't take long, and she's already picturing the new furniture she gets to put in. But what she needs first, is a Lawyer.

A/N i'm excited about this new book! it's definitely different with the third person pov, but i want you guys to see the feelings of all characters without having to switch pov to each character. it's just easier and a lot more interesting. also obviously this plot is a little more detective like and suspenseful. and there's meant to be some confusion in the beginning. but the chapters to come will clear things up. this chapter obviously hints that jennifer is dealing with the loss of her husband, and she has something to do with it👀