12

"Careful!" Caitlyn said. "This is a critical time!"

"A little more to the left, too far left, go right!" I added.

We were in the loft's kitchen preparing for Thanksgiving dinner. Mom and Nora had left earlier that day without me, so Flash asked me to help him and Caitlyn while they were gone. I'm sure this is an attempt to get me to spend more time with him while Nora spends time with mom. He's been doing that a lot lately, especially after we talked.

"Okay!" Flash mumbled.

"Steady hands!" Caitlyn said on his left.

"I think you're losing him!" I said as Flash finished.

"Call time of death!" Flash said as we stared at the deformed pie crust.

"It's okay. It's a pie, it's not supposed to be a piece of cake." She said, causing us both to laugh.

"I don't think it looks that bad!" I said.

"Thanks, Dawn." Flash said as he began kneeing the leftover dough. "Why don't you sprinkle some cinnamon on top!"

I was gently sprinkling cinnamon on top of the pie when Mom and Nora walked into the loft, talking about their day. I waved at them both, and Mom waved back, but Nora ignored me.

"Let's take a photo and post it on that old-fashioned Insta thingy." Nora said, sitting on the couch, not bothering to even make eye contact with me.

After that night, I've been practically invisible to her. Mom and Flash keep saying she will eventually come around and that I have to be patient. The thing is, I don't want to be patient.

"Instagram still exists in this time?" I said, walking over to mom and Nora." I once wrote a paper for my newspaper about apps that went extinct!"

"Guys, please, you're making me feel old!" Mom laughed.

"Can I see it?" I asked.

"I'll show you later; it's a lot to explain." Nora said, ending the conversation.

"Oh, okay!" I replied." That's fine. I was going to clean up anyway." my voice trailed off as I walked away.

 Flash followed and stopped me before I could enter the bathroom.

"I'm fine, just covered in flour!" I said before he could get a word out.

"Remember what we talked about?" He replied.

"It's not a big deal-"

"Dawn!" He said sternly.

"Holding things in is not good!" I replied." I know, but-"

"And?"

"And I can come to you or mom if I ever need to talk, but I'm fine." I said as he nodded, looking back at Nora.

"Just be"

"-Patient." I said before entering the bathroom. "I know."

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Mom, and Flash dragged me to S.T.A.R. labs claiming to have a  surprise for me yet they wouldn't even hint at what it could be. I even tried guessing but they were adamant about keeping it a secret.

 Once we were in the cortex, they instructed me to stay put with my back toward the entrance as they stood in front of me.

"Am I finally getting the new gauntlet IV?" I said jokingly.

"A what?." Mom questioned. "No, but it is something we've been thinking about for a while."

"Yes." Flash agreed." Since your training has been going so well, mom and I think it's time you start going on official missions with us."