Chapter 1

"Kaelya!!" I heard my best friend shout my name as I stared at her, her face cold with a terrified expression, unforgettable, something that would be engrained in my memory forever.

"Maddi!" I tried to shout back to her, terrified just the same.

And then... it all just went dark... instantly.

* * *

Two Days Before...

Makaelya's POV:

I poke my head in the doorway to my bestie, Maddison's, room at her family's apartment, "Hey, you all packed, girlie?!" I ask her excitedly,

She looks up from the suitcase that's sitting on the edge of her bed next to her, stuffed full, and replies enthusiastically, "Yeah, I'm so excited!"

I smile at her happily and say, "Same! Same!" before asking her, "So, I'll see you outside in a bit?!"

She nods happily, replying, "Yeah!"

* * *

Nearly 30 minutes later, Maddi and I load our suitcases into the rental/airport shuttle car, and hop in, starting our adventure off by driving where else than, right to the airport.

So why don't I explain where we're going?! My best friend Maddi and I are currently on our way to the airport for our duo senior trip. We're calling it that because our real senior trip got canceled due to budget cuts. Even with a little activist like Maddi on our side, we still weren't able to get the school board to budge. At least that's the narrative we're going with for right now...
Oh well, Besseio will be better anyways. Besseio, here we come!

* * *

We check in for our flight relatively quickly and board and get settled in on the plane, and then soon enough after, we take off.

The flight was uneventful too. In fact, I'm pretty sure that Maddie even slept for most of it.
And even though we're so similar in a lot of ways, I'm different from her in a variety of ways too. Like instead of sleeping, I spent the flight awake writing on my blog and taking photos of the beautiful sky, Instagram obsessed much? Hahaha. But really though, I wish that one day I could be a professional photographer and travel blogger, and maybe just maybe, that dream could possibly be reached and come true. When you're so far up in the air like this, and looking into the clouds in the sky, it really does seem like nothing is truly impossible at this exact moment.

I think that Maddie wants to travel after high school graduation too, but she's always been more of a homebody; one of the only things that set us apart. And also, don't let anyone else know this, but Maddie is only 17, and she just turned 17. Typically where we live, anyways, seniors are 17, turning 18, but it's never been a big deal for us, and she's pretty convincing for a senior though, right? Her parents thought it'd be a good idea if she took some senior-level classes and that's the real reason she couldn't go on the senior trip. Although we don't ever make it seem like a big deal, the school board disagreed. And I didn't have the heart to let her know. I just work in the front office, you know? Ugh, am I making the right decision here?

* * *

As soon as the plane lands, and I hear the crew announce that we've landed, I also see Maddi move out of the corner of my eye, so I nudge her, and whisper, "Hey, girl! We're in Besseio!"

She groans, looking at me and then out the window, "Hmm really?"

I laugh, "Yeah, you've been sleeping for like hours."

She stretches her arms and turns towards me after, "Oh yeah, it sure seems like it."

I nod, and look at the luggage holder above us, before asking her, "Let's go, shall we?"

To which she nods back, and says, "We shall."

And with that, we grab our luggage and hop off the plane, with our next adventure awaiting us.

* * *

It was pretty late when we landed so we decided to grab a couple of coffees, obvs, and then go window-shopping for a minute. Maddi wanted all of the faux fur coats; I wanted all of the high-heeled boots, and of course, since we were, 'just window shopping', neither of us got anything. Tomorrow, we're planning to go out again to exchange the rest of the money that we didn't get to while we were at the airport.

We rented a nice little house to stay in the new few days, and it's in the city with nice visibility, and inside one of the best communities; well, at least that's what it says on the interwebs, totes obvs.

* * *

After driving through the gate, walking in, and admiring the gorgeous house, we set our luggage down and decided to sit outside on the deck, contently watching the sunset contently with our two coffees.

I look over at Maddi and ask her, "This is so much better than a silly senior trip, right?"

She shrugs as she takes a sip of her coffee, "Yeah, I guess," she replies plainly, and unconvincingly.

"You guess?" I ask her again,

She clarifies, "Just part of me wonders what it would've been like."

I agree with her, "I know, me too, girly," before then taking a sip of my coffee

Yeah, I know, me too, me too.

* * *

About an hour later, I come back downstairs as Maddi proudly announces, "Dinner!"

"I thought I'd already told you a thousand times you're a bad cook," I say, pointing out a very true fact. We cannot let her go near anything other than a microwave, seriously. It'd be very bad, hahaha.

"That's why... drum roll, please... I ordered a pizza!" she laughs.

"With what money?" I ask, laughing back.

 "I gave them US dollars. Was I not supposed to?" she laughs, knowing she wasn't supposed to.

"Maybe they're used to tourists?" she supposes.

I shake my head and run over to hug her, "I love you, sis." I say.

She hugs me back and says, "I love you too sis."

* * *

After Dinner

I go to find Maddi sitting on the couch, "Hey, I think I'm going to turn in for the night." I tell her

She looks up and smiles friendlyly, replying back, "Okay, have a good night! See you tomorrow!"

I smile back and reply, "Yeah, see you tomorrow! Can't wait!"

She says happily. "Me either!!"

"Goodnight!" I say before starting to leave the room to go back upstairs to my room.

"Goodnight!" she replies back.