Chapter 2

One other thing that Maddie and I always disagree on is... TV shows. But luckily, our fave "Fancy Home Finders" is always on on Friday mornings!

"Come on! It's on now!" I call for my bestie, looking up at her through the stairs.

After both of us got breakfast and settled on the couch, I ask her, "Hey, so what do you think about exchanging our money and then going shopping for real, but on a budget, of course?"

"I think that sounds absolutely fabulous!" She replies back happily.

"Great!" I say back.

* * *
After the episode's over, Maddie goes back upstairs to get ready,

"I'll see you in a bit then?" I ask her.

"Yess!" She replies back.

* * *

Maddi and I have been out shopping for a couple of hours now after exchange our money, and it was exactly like yesterday, we want everything, but this time we can actually go 'shopping shopping' as Maddi likes to call it. We're in a tourist shop right now, and...

"Kaelya, look!" Maddi says, "You should definitely buy that!" she says holding up a cute floral dress.

"Hmm, should I?" I answer back, teasingly.

"Um yes is that even a question?!" She answers back just the same.

"Oh look, here!" She runs and grabs a jean jacket for me.

"Aww that'd be so cute! Thank you." I tell her.

"And for you?" I think out loud, "Hmm these and these!" I say, bringing her a leather bomber jacket, t-shirt, and boots, with a cute pair of sunnies; so her style!

"Ooh yes! Thank you!" She replies back happily. "Let's go check out!" She adds.

"Yes, let's go!" I say, agreeing.

* * *

Later That Night

Maddi and I are playing 'Truth or Dare' in front of the fireplace, and I'm just coming back from the bathroom. I must've forgotten my phone because Maddi is holding it when I come back.

"Hey..." I say, trying to be inconspicuous.

"Hey. So, what is this?" She asks, showing me my phone and a text written on the screen.

I have to think quickly on my feet, and so I ask back,  "Um... what do you mean?"

She takes a deep breath before continuing and asking to clarify, "Kaelya, why is Karsyn texting you this?"

Karsen, my half-evil, half-decent, queen bee of a step-sister.

* * *

Karsyn

I thought you said that the senior trip was canceled, we went through all of that, what's going on??!!

* * *

I try to answer, "I-..." "Okay, so don't be mad at me but..."

"But?? I'm waiting for an answer Makaelya." She says as her glare intensifies.

Using my full name for once, yikes!

I finally explain the full story, "Okay, fine! They- they said that you were too young. You had to be 18 to go on the trip or else, you couldn't go. I heard them talking about it in the office when I was working there one day after the petition and protest thing."

"So it was never about funding?" She asks me in a disheartening voice.

"No. I'm so sorry, Maddi." I tell her, consolingly.

"So then, why didn't you go?" She surprisingly asks me.

"Because I want to be here with you, of course!" I answer back confidently.

"You should've gone." She mentions.

"No, what? Madi??" I ask her, confused.

"I just- why would you keep this from me?" She asks me.

"I- I'm sorry- I-"  I say, not exactly knowing what to say back.

As I'm thinking, her eyebrows narrow as she asks, "Wait, do you hear that?"

"What, you have supersonic hearing or something?" I joke, answering back.

"No, but I swear I just heard something really loud." She explains.

"Okay, okay. I'll go check it out." I say before standing up and walking outside.

* * *

"Maddie relax, there's nothing out here--" I say before suddenly getting hit in the back of the head and dragged down, hitting the ground on my back, making a huge thud.

"Kaelya!" I hear Maddie shout from inside still, luckily.

Madi, don't come outside, Madi don't come outside, please, if there's ever been at time where I need telaphathy, please Lord God, let it be now!

But unfortunately seconds later, I see Maddie's silhouette standing outside across from me.

"Kaelya!!" I hear my best friend shout my name as I stare up at her, hazily; her face cold with a terrified expression, unforgettable, something that would be engrained in my memory forever.

"Maddi!" I tried to shout back to her, terrified just the same.

And then... it all just went dark... instantly.