Chapter 3

As I slowly open my eyes, I notice I'm sitting on the floor; and there's no sign of Maddi anywhere, just a note neatly placed and sitting next to me.

- Come to the meeting room down the hall to the right, at 14:00 sharp -

I glance at the clock above the door that reads 13:30 and rush to it. Locked, of course. So then I rush to the mirror to freshen up. And check it again at 13:55, this time it's unlocked.

I walk to the meeting room down the hall to the right just as the note had instructed and scan the room in search of Maddi. Nope, again, unfortunately. I continue to look around but everyone's busy and not in a mood to talk. I scan the room some more and follow a girl around my height to the food line. I put food on my plate that I pick up next to the line and sit down next to her.

Then as we're all eating, a solemn presence fills the room as everyone gets quiet and looks up. Just then a tall woman in a business outfit appears out of the corner door. 

"My name is Esmiryella." she introduces herself, "You must do the work I assign to you, with no exceptions. Now, are we clear?" she demands to which everyone around the room nods affirmingly... except... me.

"I guess that'll depend, what's the work?" I look up and ask her, with all eyes around the room now on me.

Displeased, she replies, asking, "Huh, do we have a little firecracker here, huh?"

"I never really challenged your authority, so I didn't really do anything wrong. I know my bounds, trust me." I answer her, crossing my arms, and raising an eyebrow.

Growing infuriated with me, she orders, "Guards take her back, now!" To which two familiar guards, take me out of my seat and grab me by the arms and drag me down the hall back to the room I was in before.

"Um... huh, what?" I ask them.

"You made a mistake, little girl, now remember that next time." She slams the door before I can get a word in.

I decide to sleep on the floor again trying to process what had just happened.

* * *

A little while later

I sleep until I hear the scratching of another note slid under the door

- Food if you want it, 17:00 sharp -

But after leaving my room again, I come to find that it's just the same routine over again. I get my food, and Esmiryella comes and talks to us, I question her, and she has me sent back to my room.

"Won't anyone tell me what the heck is going on?!" I ask, rightfully.

"Back to your room!" she demands again.

"What I-" I mumble as I'm being brought back to my original room again.

She stands in the doorway and scolds, "Now listen here, I honestly feel a little bad for you, considering the trouble you've already gotten into here."

"Thanks?" I answer her, confused.

"Where's-" I ask, to which she slams the door.

"Maddi...."

* * *

The next day isn't much different except for the fact that work was now added in.

I woke up again to see a note on the floor next to my door

- Work from 19:00 until 21:30 and then lights out at 21:00 sharp -

I walk out of my door to see Esmiryella standing in front of me, 

She grabs the note from my hand, and says loudly, " You see this? This will be every day until you learn respect!"

"I have respect-" I manage to say back, before I'm cut off.

"Ugh! Guards! Take her away, I simply cannot stand her!" she shouts, in a frazzled manner.

But this time they don't move, because maybe just maybe, they actually agree with me.

"I'm in my own doorway!" I say, standing up for myself to which she struts off in the opposite direction.

* * *

I got into the routine today, and the work wasn't actually too bad. I actually loved painting and seeing more of the... castle, I guess? But it was all truly exhausting and I needed a good night's sleep. Unsure of what the next day would hold, I started to drift off to sleep.