Prologue

[__Doljanchi (돌잔치)__]

The laughter invaded the entire house, making it harder for Deokha to calm her nerves. The smokes hidden inside her jeogori was tempting her. It'd been four years since she stopped smoking, or that's what she told everyone.

She hid on the bathroom for at least ten minutes, and she was sure people will start asking where she was. She took a deep breath, looking at her reflection on the mirror. Her own smooth and young skin was starting to get wrinkled by age, and bags under her eyes were a bit visible even after the heavy make-up she applied. Deokha cursed heavens and time for making her old.

A soft knock on the door took her by surprise. She ignored it, her skin where her secret stash of smokes itched. The woman took her hand inside the jeogori, reaching for them, when the door opened. She didn't move, her hand stuck inside her top, touching the smokes with the tips of her fingers, and watched by the corners of her eyes how the unwanted guest came inside and closed the door.

"Deokha, the guests are waiting," the tall man got closer, forcing her hand out from her clothes. The woman didn't reply, only jerking away from his touch. The man chuckled, raising his hands in a defensive way. "Alright, sorry. I forgot how much you hate being touched"

"Only if it's you! You-!" The woman tried to stay cool as he saw the dark eyes of the man, who had the same stupid smile plastered in his lips. She sighed and walked to the door, but the man put a hand on the door, forcing it shut again. "Gukjae. Move. NOW"

"How long are you still going to postpone our talk? It's been a year, Deokha. I am patient....but not stupid."

"Oh, really? I think me not waiting to talk to you is quite the answer, Gukjae. Are you sure you're not slow?" She smirked, digging her nails on the man's hand, as hard as she could. She was disgusted by his mere presence, and she wanted him GONE. "Move. I don't like repeating myself"

"You gave birth to our children, but we're not even married. I proposed several times, and you kept saying you will accept after they're born. Now, they're having their first birthday, so I want an answer. Do I need to remind you who was the first one to want-?"

"DON'T! You think I wanted this?! YOU RUNIED ME! MY CAREER!!" She growled, hitting his chest with her fists. "My conductor won't have me in the next tour, because of those brats! I NEED to work, I even went to apply for minor orquestras and theaters! But no one would accept me! YOU planted those parasites in me, and now I'm done for!"

She knew she was raising her voice, but she didn't care if someone heard her. Deokha would be even happy if they did. She wasn't going to hide the fact she hated those two little pests she had to give birth. She didn't care if everyone hated her, it was the truth. She didn't want these children, she didn't want to be a mother. She didn't want to be another woman stuck in a house, with no dreams and no skills. SHE WAS BETTER THAN THAT.

And this man was trying to cage her. But he wouldn't success. She would rather die than be with him!

"Deokha? Where are you?" Deokha almost groaned loudly as she heard her father's voice. She turned to Gukjae, who was still looking at her with those dark and empty eyes. Gukjae wouldn't move an inch from his position, still ignoring the blood dripping out from the nail marks Deokha left on his hand. Wasn't he in pain? "Deokha, are you there? We're going to start the ceremony!"