Chapter 8: Again?

Debbie's POV:

"I still can't get over it," Tasha laughs, "The look on everyone's faces. Priceless."

"It sure was different," Nicole agrees, her voice hoarse from all of her laughter.

I smile, "I like her. She's really confident and funny."

"For real, Veronica seems so down to earth. It's surprising," Tasha adds in.

"What's so surprising?" Veronica asks as she returns from the bathroom.

Tasha laughs, "You."

"I know right, I am quite the shock," she giggles, flipping her hair. We all chuckle as Nicole gets a notification. I raise an eyebrow and wait for her to read her text.

Scanning her eyes over her phone, Nicole says, "Oh yeah, we're having a formal party tonight. Do you guys want to come? Veronica, this can be your welcome party too!"

Veronica claps her hands, "A party on my first day of school? Of course I'm coming!"

Tasha joins in, "And I need another excuse to procrastinate!"

"Debbie, what about you?" Nicole asks.

"Uh, well..." I stutter, "I don't-"

"Oh please," Jasmine cuts me off as she comes out of the bathroom, "I don't expect Debbie Downer to attend the party. She's too busy stalking Ben online to put his pictures in her lunchbox!"

I clench my teeth. Yeah, I did do that for 2 hours straight once, but that was in the past. I'm not obsessed with Ben anymore (or at least I think) and I am not a DOWNER.

"I'll go," I mutter. Jasmine smirks and that's when I realize that's the answer she's been wanting to hear.

"Well well well, this is a change. Then I'll see you tonight at the party. And while we're at it, I'll see if I can get Ben to kiss me again, just so you have a show," she says as she struts off.

AGAIN?

I'm left there, steaming with anger, as my friends stared at her, their mouths agape.

"You know, if she didn't have the personality of a hedgehog, I might actually like her," Veronica murmurs.

"She does have that confidence charm," Nicole agreed.

"It's the audacity for me," Tasha retorts. I just bit my tongue and tried to control my temper. My mom says it's not good to bite back at other people.

"Well then," Veronica says as she turns towards me, "What are you going to wear?"

I stammer, "W-well, I kind of just blurted that out on impulse. I have no idea what I'm going to wear..."

"To be honest, me neither," Tasha joins in. We don't really get invited to parties.

"Then, do you want to get ready at my house? I have dresses that will fit you both! Plus, you won't have to drive back and forth either," Nicole offers.

"That sounds like a good idea," Tasha says, "But won't your parents mind?"

"Nope," Nicole answers, "My mom will be out at the salon getting ready and my dad will be downstairs checking over our house. He won't bother you guys. Jianhao is going to be at Vincent's house trying to get him to go, so we should be good. Veronica, you're coming right?"

"Of course!" she exclaims.

I pause and ask, "So who's taking us?"

Everyone looks at Nicole.