Chapter 10: Cotton Candy

Nicole's POV:

I threw my heels over my shoulder as I walked into the break room. This was a room in our house that was only used for one reason: the kid's afterparty. This is when adults left and told their children to "behave." This is where you could see everyone and their parent's social standings.

Jianhao was on the dark red couch, already talking to Denise and Vincent, his two friends that my mother despised. I walked over to him to greet him with a small shoulder pat. We barely saw each other at the party. Father was dragging Jianhao around to make social connections while Mother showed me off to my friends and pointed out potential marriage partners. I rolled my eyes at the thought.

I was telling my twin how it went when Ed, Trevor, and Abbey walked in, their voices loud and cheerful. Trevor had his arm wrapped around Abbey's tiny waist, and his arm was around Ed's shoulder. Those 3 were known as the airheads, one in particular I couldn't stand.

Ed happened to make eye contact with me as these thoughts rolled around in my head. He shot me a quick wink and made a beeline towards me. I crossed my arms over my chest. What did this douche want now?

"Hey Nic," he said, his charming smile already put on, "I didn't see you much. How'd it go?"

"It went fine," I brushed him off. I didn't want to speak to him. I won't forgive him for the past.

His face noticeably dropped for a split second, making me smirk. That's right, karma's a bitch.

He leaned in closer, "You look hot."

In the past, I would've smiled up at him, my eyes sparkling and my cheeks the color of his hair, pink as cotton candy. But now, all I had to do was fight the shivers that went down my spine and answer him in a level-headed voice, "Thank you."

He looked as if he wanted to say something else, but the second he opened his mouth, Ben walked in, bringing in a lot of surprise when everyone saw who was holding onto his arm.

Debbie.

I raised an eyebrow, but I didn't say anything. Ed on the other hand, had some other ideas.

"Ben! Over here!" he waved, "Oh, and Debbie I guess."

Everyone chuckled at his awkward tone. When they got over here, I leaned in and whispered to Debbie, "I thought you were over him."

"I am!" she said quietly, "He was just following me around to the point where I accepted it."

I winked, "Sure sure. Whatever you say."

I'm pretty sure she's not over him, but, hey at least she's trying.

As if on cue, the two of the three biggest try hards strutted in, causing as much commotion they called attention as they could. I mentally cringed at their outfits. Jasmine was wearing this tiny, strappy, dark red dress that left little to the imagination. Cassie was wearing a pale pink number, with a saggy bodice so you could see everything her chest had to offer. Abbey joined so that the duo became a trio and I braced myself for what would come next. Like vultures on a scavenger hunt, they headed straight for us.

"Bennn," Jasmine cooed as she wrapped one arm around his waist, "How are you? I barely saw you at the party!"

Ben visibly stiffened, but didn't tell her to get off. It was impossible to ignore Debbie's subtle flinch. However, my attention shifted when Cassie wrapped her body around Ed's arm and pushed her chest even further out, to which Ed gave a small smile. I rolled my eyes. So much for forgiveness, Edward.

"I was busy," Ben answered awkwardly. Debbie shifted closer to me.

"Helping the nobody, sorry, newbie?" Jasmine asked, her eyes glaring pointedly at Debbie. Debbie mumbled some unintelligible, to which I raised an eyebrow.

"What did you say? Speak up or shut up, choose one," Abbey said. 

Before I could raise my voice, Debbie answered, "I said, shut up."

"What?" Jasmine scoffed.

"Shut up," Debbie repeated, "I don't want to talk to you."

And with that, she went to sit on one of the leather couches, leaving the rest of us with our jaws gaping. Did Debbie just...speak up for herself? I resisted the urge to snort and followed after her, while Jasmine spluttered for some lousy comeback. Sitting down, I wrapped my arm around Debbie and whispered, "You really are like a kid. Your insults are simple and straight to the point."

"I was just honest," Debbie shrugged, "It's annoying seeing her mouth open."

"Honestly, that was rude," Abbey stated as she sauntered to the couch. I openly rolled my eyes. As if she had any idea of what rude was. 

"Yeah," Trevor agreed. I almost yawned. That guy blindly agrees with Abbey all the time.

Ed plopped right down beside me on the couch to which I scooted closer towards Debbie. The look on his faced placated my satisfaction until Cassie decided that there wasn't any acceptable place to sit and placed her ass in Ed's lap. I averted my eyes. I already had horrible eyesight and I didn't want to make it worse.

"Have you seen Tasha?" Debbie questioned, "I haven't seen her since the party began."

"I think she went home with her mom," I replied, "I think I saw my mom send her off."

"Oh, well because I was go-"

She was cut off by a male voice.

"YOU FUCKING BASTARD."