We make our own futures

Mirabel dashed through the town and over the nearby hills looking for Juano. She had to reveal to him what she had discovered. She hoped that what she would reveal would not make Juano unsettled as his family's treatment of him had done. 

"Juano!" She called. "Juano!" she cried out. 

"Are you looking for the freak, loser?" 

Mirabel almost jumped but she recognised it. She turned around to see Sophia and Natalia. "Ugh! Leave me alone!" she turned around.

"Do you have feelings for that freak?" Natalia asked.

Mirabel turned around with a fiery face. "Stop calling him a freak!"

"What are you going to do?" Sofia goaded. "Oh wait a minute. You can't do anything. Because you don't have a gift,"

"I don't need a gift to be special," 

"Then how come our best girlfriend forever can do something special...and you can't?" Natalia cackled cruelly. "She's about to get engaged. I don't see anyone thinking of hooking up with you,"

"She's right. Who in the world could think you were special enough to have a life with you?" Sofia asked mockingly. "I bet the family are celebrating right now. And they've neglected you again," she continued to laugh. 

Her words stung Mirabel. Her lips shrivelled again. 

"Oh look at that. Are you going to cry?" Natalia goaded, pretending to cry. 

Mirabel felt compelled to give in to such emotional pain but something appeared behind the girls. A smug appeared on her face. "I would look behind you,"

"Did you not hear what we just said?" Sofia screamed. "You're supposed to be crying!" 

"No I would really look behind you," Mirabel gained her confidence and pointed behind them.

Sofia and Natalia reluctantly rolled their eyes and turned around. They screamed. It was a pair of jaguars. They screamed and they run. The jaguars sprinted after them. Mirabel swerved aside as she watched them run away. She laughed. "Juano!"

Juano turned visible in a street behind her and walked into the open air. "I heard the whole crowd gathering. Then I heard you calling out my name till those jerks showed up. Are you alright?" 

"I am. Thank you,"

"It was nothing," Juano noticed that behind her smiling facade, Mirabel was holding back tears. "Hey," Juano stood in front of her. "Ignore what they say,"

"I know," Mirabel wiped them away. "Isandra's going to stall them. There's something I need to tell you," she leaned up and Juano positioned his ear near her lips. "It's about what I saw in Bruno's vision,"

"We don't talk about Bruno!" a villager eavesdropping on their conversation shouted.

"Come on!" Juano complained. "Go bug someone else!"

The village just scoffed and waddled away. 

"I heard everyone singing about Bruno!" he said. "Do they think so low of him?"

Mirabel nodded grimly. 

Juano noticed something. "Mirabel, what happened?"

Mirabel turned her head around to make sure no one was watching them. "Not here Juano. Come," he took his hand and she pulled him down the street. 

Unknown to them, Alejandro was hiding behind a corner. He frowned when he saw Mirabel disappear with his younger brother.

                                         .............................................................................