chapter 11: the blood of the lamb

"Have you been to Jesus for the cleansing power? Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb? Are you fully trusting in His grace this hour? Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?"

Sina neared the church and stood on the yellowing grass. Through the sheets of rain, he listened to the hymn and wasn't sure if he should cringe or drop to his knees and blend into the drops of rain. He could easily pinpoint Cookie's voice – that deep baritone that should be coveted in an opera house and slapped with a hundred dollar ticket, not deprived in Purgatory where no one would ever know that Cook. E sounded like a fucking angel.

"Damn, you've got a good voice, Cook..." Sina whispered using his friend's given name and not the nickname Cookie had saddled himself with ever since he started shaking his ass for cash. "You don't belong in fucking Purgatory."

Taking a few steps onto the lawn of Saint Agatha's, Sina stopped as the storm swiftly began to lessen. When he cast a look skyward, he saw the clouds part. It was now drizzling comfortably, even though Sina was already soaked.

There was another voice lost in the mess of what sounded like gargoyles in heat. Perhaps not as refined as Cookie's but it made Sina want to know who it belonged to. There was a lilt to it that conveyed some sort of secret, as though the singer wanted to sing but didn't want to be heard. Shrugging away his thoughts, Sina kicked at a spot of mud and looked down where a single dandelion was growing. "No booze for you. Your brother was a lightweight. Betcha you are too."

While he was busy talking to the weed, Sina heard the singing stop. Hearing the pastor thank his congregation for coming then saying that he hoped more people would show up in the following weeks, Sina huffed. "Hah! Fat chance, padre. No one in Heaven gives a flying fuck about God except those creeps warming their butts in the pews who think their shit don't stink...Cookie excluded."

As the people inside began to rise off their seats, Sina scowled and bolted towards a cluster of trees. He ducked behind them not wanting anyone – especially Cookie – to see he was here. Of all places.

"It's a miracle, Father," Delores exclaimed. She followed Cal like a lamb as he led them to the door.

Caleb reached for the handle. The grin on her face made him think of the Joker's horrible smile. The others behind Delores looked just as comically-cruel as they alternated between cooing over Louise's baby and looking over their shoulders to scowl then whisper – in a rather gossipy manner – about Cook and why he really should not be here with us true Christians.

Delores touched Cal's arm briefly. "It hadn't rained for months. Folks here were beginning to worry the town was going to turn into a wasteland of dust." As she nodded, she added, "It's because of you. I know so."

Giving her a small smile and trying to make it look genuine, Cal shook his head. "It is a miracle indeed, but I doubt it's because of me."

"Oh, but it is. You see –"

Delores continued to talk, but Cal's attention was stolen by Travis who kept biting his lip so much Cal was sure he'd draw blood. Travis Cullen stood far away from his mother and all the others waiting to shake Cal's hand and bid him farewell. The youngest Cullen's gaze kept shifting to Mr. Johnson. Every time Cook glanced Travis' way, Travis looked away with his jaw clenched and his hands balled into fists.

"– Because God told me in a dream. And what's more, Father –"

Cal gave Delores a nod, though he had barely heard more than a handful of whatever was being spewed from her mouth. He saw Travis take a hesitant step towards Cook, stop, then look to see if anyone had noticed.

When Cook saw Travis' gesture, he sighed then lightly shook his head when Travis turned away.

"Don't you agree, Father?"

Caleb's attention returned to Delores. "Mmm," he muttered not knowing what he was replying to so didn't want to give her a yes or a no. "It was a pleasure seeing you," then he added to get her moving, "Sister Delores."

"See you next Sunday, bright and early!" Delores beamed. "Travis," she lifted her hand over the heads of the others who were saying goodbye to Caleb and snapped her fingers to get her son's attention. When Travis looked up she hollered, "I'll be in the car."

One by one, Father Cal bid the other parishioners a good day and watched them exit. All except a pained soul in an orange hat who had remained behind.

"Today's been a day I have been praying for, Father Caleb." Stopping by Cal and the open door, Cookie turned to watch the others get into their cars. "The having a preacher and church service again, I mean. I try to ignore the fact that I am not wanted by the others. I'm sorry it's so obvious. Discreetness is not everyone's forte. I am sure they told you why I am not desired here...at least Mrs. Cullen has."

Frowning, Cal placed a hand on Cookie's arm. "You are always wanted and welcomed in my church. I don't care what good people do for a living and neither does God."

Cookie chuckled dryly then tutted. "Oh, so she's sticking by that story?" Muttering mostly to himself, he added, "Guess she needs an excuse that won't disgrace them anymore. At least I'm welcomed by you and our good Lord." Cookie gestured to the cross at the altar. "It's not easy ignoring hate. Ain't easy at all. Especially the kind of hate Mrs. Cullen has for me. She fills people's minds with garbage."

Cal felt like he's been stabbed. He could be the good preacher and tell Cook to forgive Delores and whomever else may be causing him grief. But Cal knew Mr. Johnson deserved more. "No, it isn't easy ignoring hate and no one should have to endure that by good Christian folk."

As the last of the cars pulled out, Travis slowed his Toyota down and looked toward the church.

"I can't even say goodbye," Cookie whispered sadly. "Fine, make me your villain." Before another word was spoken, he draped his shawl around his shoulders, opened his umbrella, and walked down the steps of the church.

words: 1088

total words: 9856