Chapter 9

To my amazement, Obeus actually had a sound escape plan. We marched past the training grounds as if on the hunt for a wanted fugitive, namely me. He took the lead, striding with authority in his official Magus robe and poking the ground every other step with a long wooden staff. I followed behind, not so authoritatively, posing as a guard with a pike in one hand and my knife at my waist.

Beyond the grounds at the outer city wall and hidden from view within a crumbling rock shed, he held out a hand. Strings of magic, like blue spider webs, fluttered to the wall. The light-brown rock dissolved away, or rather, I thought, the false image of a wall did, revealing a low hidden passageway.

He smirked at me, raising one eyebrow as if to say 'see, I told you I had a plan'. Reluctantly, I nodded. So far, so good.

Geese honked in alarm as we emerged outside the wall among a scattering of garden plots and animal pens. A bent woman in tattered clothes, weeding a row of root vegetables with a hoe, barely acknowledged our passing. The musty scents of turned soil and compost invoked a shudder, reminding me of a home I might not see again.

We entered a weathered wooden stable. While the startled stable boy saddled two horses within a stall, Obeus lifted the dusty trunk lid and tossed me a bundle. "Time to change clothing again."

On horseback, we trotted out into bright sunshine, wearing brown tunics and trousers. Provisions for the journey bulged the saddlebags.

I turned back toward the stable, asking, "Won't the stable boy report us to the king's men?"

"Not if he forgets," Obeus replied with a sly grin. With a twist of hand, a blue vaporous mist snaked through the still morning air and into the stable. "Mental manipulation is the highest form of Magic," he said with a hint of pride. "The boy shall remember nothing of our passing."

We made our way along a faint path well apart from any main road, weaving around brush and tall trees. It took us along the river until branching into forested hills. The muffled clopping of horse hooves on soft ground and gentle swaying of emerald leaves put me in a trance. As the sun reached its high point, we stopped within a tree grove to rest the horses and ourselves in cool shade.

I sat under a tall tree, leaning against the trunk, and let my mind wander. My gut tensed at an unknown future on the run. I dared not think back, though, for that would touch recent painful memories. Then, another thought jolted me upright. "Wait!" I cried out. "My mother might be in danger. From the papers I filled out with the Quartermaster, the king will know of my home town."

"You actually gave them that information?" Obeus scoffed, leaning against his own tree and puffing on a long curved pipe. "But worry not. I destroyed your records."

"Incredible," I said after a sigh of relief. "You did think this through."

"Would there be any doubt?"

I rolled my eyes. "So what happens next in this grand scheme of yours?"

Obeus replied in an even tone, blowing out a ring of bluish smoke. "You will save my life."

"Umm, what?"

"Must I explain everything?" he huffed. With lowered eyebrows, he glared at me. "Soon our esteemed king will realize my betrayal and invoke the Mage Bonds to kill me. You and the Magicae Null within must then deactivate it. His guards may be banging on my door now."

"Oh... I am not sure that I can call it out at will."

"I would be most upset if you failed."

"Not to mention dead," I gulped. "So, when?"

"Tonight, I suspect. They will notice soon my disappearance. Pity the one who must inform His Majesty." A grin grew on Obeus' face. "I can just imaging the royal blubbering tantrum that would put a spoiled toddler to shame."

Obeus' chuckle ended prematurely. His eyes flew wide open, and he said in a strained voice, "Perhaps I miscalculated..." Tremors wracked his body as he let out a pained cry. Yanking up a sleeve, he uncovered the bonding tattoo on a forearm, which now pulsed in bright blue light. Jagged veins of glowing indigo crept up his arm. Somewhere, the king chanted the kill spell specific to Obeus, magically activating the dormant poison contained by the bonds. "No time like the present, my boy," Obeus grunted.

I jumped to his side on my knees and thrust out my hands, willing the Fury to awaken. Nothing. Despite repeated efforts, the Fury slept. What is this? I chastised the beast. Usually, I have to hold you back. We need Obeus to save Aria!

"By the Creator," Obeus huffed between tremors. "If I die now, my ghost shall forever haunt your existence." Turning a hand, he formed a shimmering blue ball of magic and thrust it at my gut.

A wheeze of air escaped my lips as the ball struck me like a hard punch to the stomach. That did it. The Fury woke with an angry start, growling at the imposition.

Take away the Bonds, but no more, I instructed.

A swirling column of gray smoke erupted from my hand, snaked through the air, and wrapped itself around Obeus' forearm. Spiraling and constricting, it fed, consuming blue sparks of magic in furious hunger. Obeus widened his eyes in rapt fascination.

Once the tattoo faded away, I called the Fury back. It is done. Return. Still hungry, the beast ignored me, letting out a mental growl and expanding to encompass its victim with thin gray coils. Writhing, Obeus' eyes rolled back in his head as he fought the assault.

Stop! I ordered. He is an ally. Reluctantly, the Fury untwined and returned, disappearing whence it came.

Propped up on an elbow, Obeus took several deep breaths. "Unpleasant, that was. But well done, Tomas."

My jaw dropped. "Did you just compliment me?"

He narrowed his eyes. "I doubt that will be a common occurrence."