Chapter 16

"Make any magic, even one blue spark, and I spill your foul blood," a voice snarled in my ear. "Understand?"

Air halted in my chest, and I became a statue, albeit with a pounding heart. Although I could not see the man behind me, I could feel his moist breath flow past the sharp knife edge pressed against my throat. The hand that gripped the hilt emerged from a dusty, dark-blue uniform sleeve. I might have explained I don't have magic, only the anti-magic, and could barely control it as it was, but didn't think that would be helpful at the moment.

"Got it."

The Fury hissed and growled within, but did not buck against its bonds, as if aware of my present peril. Perhaps we are working better together.

A squad of the king's soldiers teemed around us, weapons drawn. One soldier bound my hands behind me with lengths of twisted rope, then did the same to Obeus. I grimaced from the rough chafing on my wrists.

King Reza, with arms folded and a frown creasing his red-bearded face, appeared on top of the red-rock bluff, flanked by three mages wearing blue uniforms with silver sashes and equally stern expressions. Two I recognized: Hawyn, the instructor who endured me at the training grounds; and Lord Gawyn, the father of the Ewyn, the young man I killed.

This is just great.

My glance met Obeus, who also had a blade at his neck. His narrowed eyes and tight lips indicated he held the same situational assessment.

The king, followed by his mages, strolled along the bluff and down to our level as if he had all the time in the world, sighing as he went. Obeus rolled his eyes. No doubt, the king wanted to make us wait in a vain show of importance.

King Reza stopped at a hand's width from Obeus' face, shaking his head in dismay. "Have I not treated you well, Obeus? Had you not achieved wealth and high status by my grace? Now you betray me?"

"I have betrayed no one, your majesty," he replied with head bowed. Though, by his clenched fists, I could tell that the apparent reverence was not heartfelt. "I only wish to rescue my daughter, who suffers much in your service. Surely in your mercy, you would--"

"You could never outwit me, Obeus." With a laugh, the king stuck out his chest in obvious pride. "I knew you would come here, so all we had to do was wait." He grasped Obeus' forearm, turning it. "The Bonds are missing. What do you make of this, Gawyn?"

The king's advisor sneered at Obeus, then at me. "Only by the Null might they be removed, my king. The abomination must be purged." Baring teeth and drawing down dark eyebrows, he snatched a blade from his sash and pointed it at me. I gulped, recognizing the knife as the one I used to kill his son. Not at all a coincidence that he bore it. "I demand vengeance, here and now!"

"Please, your highness," I pleaded. "Aria has endured hell on behalf of all. We have a way to rescue her without setting Naamah free. Then you may do with me as you may."

"Truly he speaks, my king," Obeus said. "The magic barrier weakens even now. If we do nothing, the Darkness will soon break free."

The king huffed, "I shall not fall for your ruse, Obeus."

"Hawyn, you know me." Obeus turned to her, his eyes imploring. "I would not deceive on such a serious matter. Surely, you sense the failing barrier and see the rock fractures. Soon, Naamah will emerge."

Hawyn shifted her gaze to the sepulcher and dropped her jaw. "My king, I fear that Obeus--"

"Enough!" King Reza bellowed, waving his hand dismissively. "I shall not risk releasing the Darkness within. Lord Gawyn, take your vengeance and be done with it!"

I tried to back away, but the soldier behind held tight. My eyes focused on the knife as it loomed ever closer. Sunlight glinted off the sharpened edge as it turned in Gawyn's hand. The Fury stirred as if rolling over in bed but made no effort to emerge. Come out, damn it! Do something! I implored.

My soul grew heavy, sinking into the acid waters of failure. I am so sorry, Aria.

"Chort!" a distant soldier cried, pointing toward the stream.

A dozen beasts loped up the gorge, howling and snarling as they weaved through the skeletons of dead trees. Fire red eyes blazed with deep-rooted menace. Collectively, the soldiers froze, gawking at the threat as it neared, and the king's face paled. Lord Gawyn lowered the knife as he turned toward them. Never thought I would ever be grateful to the Chort.

An officer took charge, mobilizing his men. "Form a line! Archers to the rear. Now!" he barked.

Twenty soldiers scurried, gathering into rough formation, swordsmen to the front with archers behind, spanning the narrow gap between the stream and the rock bluff. Many quaked in fear, holding up wavering blades, as they awaited the pending assault. Hawyn and the other mage jumped into place on the flanks, magic glowing blue around their hands, standing ready. The thundering beasts drew closer, lusting for blood.

Unfortunately, the two soldiers holding Obeus and me did not join the others. 

"Do you not yet comprehend?" Obeus growled to the startled Gawyn. "Chort do not move together without dark guidance. The barrier weakens and Naamah reaches through!"

Gawyn ignored Obeus, turning to me as his grip tightened around the hilt. Narrowed eyes shot a hatred that would no longer wait. He hissed, "The blade you used to murder Ewyn shall now kill you."

Among the roars and battle cries as the Chort crashed into the soldiers, I stiffened, waiting for the final thrust with as much dignity as I could muster. But it did not come.

Blood red light glowed through the cracks in the sepulcher rock, becoming brighter and brighter, reaching out, dazzling. Lord Gawyn stilled, his dark eyes widening and mouth gaping. Now he believed the truth of our words.

Naamah.