Chapter 10

The rumbling snorts that poured from Obeus' gaping mouth as he slept, like a warthog with clogged sinuses, prompted me to move my bed roll away from the fireside, despite the night chill. We had made camp off the trail near a bubbling brook. Eventually, the vast starry cosmos above lulled me into desperately needed sleep.

So restful it was, until the nightmare came.

Dark rolling mist obscured the moonlight as I stood at a grimly familiar riverbank. With an ashen face, wrinkled gray skin, and stringy wet hair, Ebelle appeared before me. Her blank eyes pierced my soul. Why did you let me die?

My heart sank with her accusation, and I choked back a sob. I'm sorry.

Why did you abandon me, leaving me so alone?

The guilt that flooded my soul, bitter and putrid, constricted my throat and left me unable to answer. For what could I say? How could I excuse my failure?

Behind Ebelle, a hooded jury resolved from the mist. Standing side-by-side, they raised cloaked arms and pointed bony fingers. Guilty, they chanted in unison, rising in volume.

Mercy! I pleaded in a choked voice as I dropped to my knees in the mud. I never meant for her to die.

A burly man in a black hood parted the mist and stood next to Ebelle with arms crossed. Judgment shall be done, he proclaimed. I gazed within his hood, but there was no face, only a dark abyss.

The man lifted a hand and my body drifted over the dark, still waters. Then I plunged in. Surges of panic overcame me, and I thrashed against the force of judgment that held me under, churning the cold river. My lungs burned. Above the wavy surface, Ebelle and the jury looked down at me to witnessed my death throes.

Tomas? A gentle voice reached out from far away.

The waters faded away, and I came to be within a featureless reality, the empty framework of dreams. A dull, dimly lit floor extended in all directions as far as I could see. Collapsing to my knees, I panted, drawing desperate breaths.

A woman with dark, flowing hair materialized before me. A silvery sheath-dress clung to willowy curves and a red blood crystal hung at her chest. Big amber eyes set in a gentle oval face illuminated the reaches of my darkened heart. She had a physical allure that would steal a breath, but her true beauty radiated from her soul, strong and compassionate despite the wounds.

Aria.

I heard your cry, Tomas. Why do you despair so?

Kneeling and unable to hold her kind eyes, I bowed my head. By my failure, an innocent girl died.

Lend me your thoughts, Aria said, while kneeling down to my level. She reached out, but paused, raising an eyebrow. I nodded permission, and when she placed fingers on my forehead, I opened my memories. After a moment, she dipped her head in solemn reverence. I see.

Aria took my hands and helped me stand. With a thought, the dream framework transformed into a pastoral meadow set in rolling hills. A gentle breeze swayed lush green grasses and wafted the soothing fragrances of countless brightly colored wildflowers. The sun, low on the horizon, cast a gentle reddish light. It was not all peaceful, though, since at the opposite horizon, dark storm clouds roiled.

She tilted her head toward the serene landscape and smiled. This is my dreamland. I escape here when able.

Aria cupped my cheek with a slender hand, and I covered it with my own. Warmth flowed through my entire being from the touch. She consoled me. I would say that you are not to blame for Ebelle's death, but you already know that. I shall simply say that I understand.

A simple wooden bench shimmered into existence beside us. Sit with me, she said with a gesture.

My mind swirled with so much emotion that I could hardly form words. If only I...

A finger to my lips silenced me. You suffer because you have a good heart. Undeserved self-guilt is the curse of compassion. I know of this. Her eyes focused far away. I fought in the old land wars, lending my skill as a mage. Many died by my magic, and many were those I could not save. You must forgive yourself to release the pain, Tomas. A scar will remain on your good soul. Yet, it will be bearable, and you shall carry on.

All the grief and guilt I held within burst out like a dam breached, and I erupted in deep, heaving sobs. Aria drew my head down to her shoulder and embraced me, holding on until the flood dried to a trickle.

A blinding bright flash followed by roaring thunder made us both jump. Stiff, chilled winds gusted across the plains, tilting the grass in waves and tossing Aria's thick hair. Storm clouds rolled overhead; turbulent, boiling, and menacing.

Naamah, Aria explained, wrapping her arms across her torso. She is the Darkness trapped with me in this prison. The one who tortures me. You must go, Tomas.

Aria clamped her eyes shut and trembled. She bent down, as if to make herself smaller, and let out a mournful moan. I silently cursed this Naamah while wrapping Aria protectively into my arms, hoping to relieve the mental pain as she did for me. Whispering, I said, We will rescue you from this place, Aria. That I promise you.

Thank you. She lifted her paled face. But I ask a different pledge. Naamah must not escape, or all of humanity will suffer. Promise me that, Tomas, even if I would be fated forever in this hell."

I nodded. We will find a way.

Swirling winds and cold raindrops pelted us, but eventually, the storm abated. We stood, holding hands. The meadow disappeared into nothingness, leaving us alone in the featureless dream framework. Aria's form faded, becoming translucent, but before disappearing, she asked, How is my Big Pooky?

Big Pooky?

My father. That's what I called him as a little girl.

Shrugging with a smile, I answered, As gruff and disagreeable as ever, I suppose. How did you endure him while growing up?

A sly grin rose on her face. Oh, I knew how to manipulate him. With a well timed bottom lip quiver and a few teardrops, he became putty in my hands.

I chuckled. Don't think that would work for me.